Alecsm

Have you ever experienced something like this? Heated bed glass failed :(

Posted · Have you ever experienced something like this? Heated bed glass failed :(

I have left the printer to work for 2.5h for a print, using Colorfabb HT, a filament which requires 100+ degrees (celsius) for the heated bed. Now, just arrived home, removed the print and ...suprise! Pieces of heated bed glass are stuck inside the print! How is that possible!? IMG_1899.thumb.JPG.507eb98dcd2937bfc404555db63fe63d.JPG IMG_1896.thumb.JPG.f035cf7aedfd7e28763fb166aa7d97cc.JPG IMG_1894.thumb.JPG.0b73f4c0f814072b48532c9fbd332e7e.JPG

IMG_1899.thumb.JPG.507eb98dcd2937bfc404555db63fe63d.JPG

IMG_1896.thumb.JPG.f035cf7aedfd7e28763fb166aa7d97cc.JPG

IMG_1894.thumb.JPG.0b73f4c0f814072b48532c9fbd332e7e.JPG

Posted · Have you ever experienced something like this? Heated bed glass failed :(

its caused by leaving the print on the bed while the print cools. to prevent this from happening, remove the print before the bed cools down

its caused by leaving the print on the bed while the print cools. to prevent this from happening, remove the print before the bed cools down

It's the first time when I hear that .... I think it's a bad quality piece of glass :(

It's the first time when I hear that .... I think it's a bad quality piece of glass :(

There are a few materials on the market that can suffer from this effect of pulling pieces of the glass out. T-glase from taulman suffers from this effect as do a few other materials on the market. i would highly recommend with a material like this to either remove the part from the buildplate as soon as the print is done, or have the plate stay heated until you are able to remove the print.

I had this happen once with PLA but mostly this happens to people with PET and other less common materials. Just flip it over. If you live in a town/city where there are glass windows then chances are you can get very inexpensive glass made to order any size/thickness you ask and ground down for less money than a nozzle or 2 cups of coffee.

It's not pyrex glass. Ultimaker uses "tempered" glass but ordinary glass works fine. The unusual part is the thickness. But still cheap and easy to get.