Ultimaker 2 Build

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2 Build

Well i've finally decided i want to build an ultimaker and discovered the Bom on Github. However, the bill of materials calls for a set of smooth rods. I have been looking everywhere and the only ones i have found are some on aliexpress and DO NOT want to buy from that site. Does anyone know where i can get smooth rods. Right now i plan to just get some slightly longer rods and cut them to length. The rod diameters are 12mm (348mm long) ,8mm (337mm long) and 6mm (320mm long)

Edited by Guest

Posted · Ultimaker 2 Build

Ultimaker resellers, Igus (they sell also for common users) and Misumi (they only sell to business).

I got mines from misumi and igus (and ultimaker ofc). This part numbers are for shafts for umo+ or um2.. I can't remember XD

The part numbers for Misumi are:

PSFJ6-267 (head 6mm shafts)

PSFJ12-339 (z 12mm shafts)

PSFJ8-348 (y? 8mm shafts)

PSFJ8-337 (x? 8mm shafts)

PSFJ it's the material and kind of shaft. the next number it's the diameter then - then the length in mm

This are the part numbers for Igus linear shafts that I got.

SWMH-08 2,00 15,34 CF53-Welle, 8mm, h7, gehärtet, L=337 mm

SWMH-08 2,00 15,34 CF53-Welle, 8mm, h7, gehärtet, L=348 mm

SWMH-06 2,00 15,34 steel shaft, 8mm h7 hard- L=267 mm

Igus it's cheaper them misumi, but as far as my printers work, both are quite perfect for the job.

Remember that I have just copy/paste the info. You need to go to the bom and check the size of each shaft and diameter. Also I'm no expert in shafts (by a mile) so if you want to be sure sure, just buy it to ultimaker.

• Like 1

Buying stuff from Ultimaker seems like the expensive route to go (which I guess sort of defeats the purpose of building the machine yourself), try searching around with keywords like "linear", "motion" and "shaft", you can most certainly find some in a canadian shop, as these things are used in a multitude of applications.

As far as I am informed quality can vary alot though, so maybe don't go for the cheapest stuff you find (this would also be the aliExpress ones...)

They should be labeled with some letters/numbers specifying their precision, you can look that up if you care about quality.

Edited by Guest

Thank you guys for those informations!

I'm thinking ahead because two of my axes, 6mm / 320mm long, had rusted recently. I sanded them, put more oil but the printed head has made some noise when sliding for some positions. I didn`t notice influence in print quality yet but if the noise continues after cleaning again I will have to exchange these axes. Unfortunately we do not have Ultimakers representatives in Latin America and will have to opt for an alternative solution.

So, i found an add of a "Cnc Router Axis Linear Guide" and it have those especifications:

- Rectified shaft 6mm;

- steel 1045;

- tolerence H7 (-0,012).

- 1 meter long

need to cut it

Anyone know if it`s a good quality stuff? will it meet my needs?

Edited by Guest
    spellchecking

Does this company have a website?

I have had no luck with fin ding rods in canada. I'm thinking about cutting Rods on a chopsaw or something else. How accurate can i get the cut on the saw?

Thank you guys for those informations!

I'm thinking ahead because two of my axes, 6mm / 320mm long, had rusted recently. I sanded them, put more oil but the printed head has made some noise when sliding for some positions. I didn`t notice influence in print quality yet but if the noise continues after cleaning again I will have to exchange these axes. Unfortunately we do not have Ultimakers representatives in Latin America and will have to opt for an alternative solution.

So, i found an add of a "Cnc Router Axis Linear Guide" and it have those especifications:

- Rectified shaft 6mm;

- steel 1045;

- tolerence H7 (-0,012).

- 1 meter long

need to cut it

Anyone know if it`s a good quality stuff? will it meet my needs?

6H7 tolerance is good enough. Make sure the rods are hardened and smoothed. I guess they probably are.

• Like 1

I have had no luck with fin ding rods in canada. I'm thinking about cutting Rods on a chopsaw or something else. How accurate can i get the cut on the saw?

The length of the rods doesn't really matter. They can easily vary 1mm in length. The important thing is the diameter. It should be between 6H6-9.

Found my rods frame material and bearings, Now i'm just trying to figure out firmware for um2. Has anyone built their own Um2 that can help guide me through the use of the marlin firmware from github please and thank you.

Now i'm just trying to figure out firmware for um2. Has anyone built their own Um2 that can help guide me through the use of the marlin firmware from github please and thank you.

You should probably search the forum og make a new post for that...

Edited by Guest

Here's everything you need:

https://www.google.com/advanced_search

Choose ultimaker.com as the website to search in, and google your questions. Mauch of what you need it's already written and answered by others.