Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Proto-pasta conductive PLA experience?

Recommended Posts


Someone asked about conductive filaments some time ago, but never had any answer on this. This time there was also a link to some producer with resistance examples, however they never gave the important physical parameters for their filament. So their resistance data was useless.

Your reference here is very interesting.  Actually, this was one of the reasons for me to have a double extruder head...  :)

At it is right now, the resistance is kind of high, as we can’t run much current here, but for data it may work well.

PS. You can off course decrease the resistance by having a high number of "strings" in parallel, but how good this will be is yet to see.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am pretty close to getting a spool of this stuff. Yes the resistance is a bit high to jack a high amp current through but thats not what i am after. I just want to make some simple capacitively coupled buttons for data entry/selection - much more modern then an old throw or push switch.  Also good for perhaps powering up LEDs and then use Clear PLA to print a light pipe.   Should be fun :-)

Edited by Guest

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I have given this stuff some play time. Took me a while to get an actual print out, it seemed that 210C is not quite high enough; no PLA came out of the nozzle. However, at 230C the print stuck to the bed and printed out ok although I was a bit alarmed at first seeing the (very) squirelly blob that came out when priming. It seemed it was blowing bubbles in the first strand of PLA that showed up, I could hear it making little popping sounds. But the model came out quite nicely (a simple button) and showed 1.5 Ohm across its 1 inch surface - perfect.

However, when I changed material to Taulman t-glase afterwards, not a single print worked. The primer turns into a big blob of stuff and is dragged around by the print head pretty much destroying the first layer - which means you're done. I also noticed that the material still seemed to have some blackish coloring even though I had given it quite a bit of material to squirt out during the change. I don't have many printing hours on the Utlimaker yet so I cannot think this was some carbonization but rather some of the proto pasta was still in the nozzle.

I tried an atomic clean but this had no effect. I decided to heat up the nozzle, take it out the head and have a look. The entrance showed a mix of Taulman and Proto-pasta and it seemed some of the Proto-Pasta may have squirted out sideways. Perhaps the nozzle wasn't as tied as much as needed. So I fired up my hot air station (for soldering) set to 265C, a pair of tweezers to hold the nozzle and another pair to clean it. I was able to fish out a big blob of mixed material. Using a boro-scope to inspect the insides of the nozzle, i could see no more plugs of any kind.

The head is now printing nicely again, the primer is a nice couple of loops, not a blob (though I still don't like how the printer deals with the primer, there always is a chance it drags it around the print).

So the conductive proto pasta is neat but messy in my experience. Perhaps the results of my inexperience (entirely possible) and incorrect temp settings (which I find awkward to set on the Ultimaker) and may deserve its own nozzle.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Our picks

    • How to 3D print with reinforced engineering materials
      Ultimaker is hosting a webinar where we explain how you can achieve and maintain a high print success rate using these new reinforced engineering materials. Learn from Ultimaker's Product Manager of Materials and top chemical engineer Bart van As how you can take your 3D printing to that next level.
      • 2 replies
    • "Back To The Future" using Generative Design & Investment Casting
      Designing for light-weight parts is becoming more important, and I’m a firm believer in the need to produce lighter weight, less over-engineered parts for the future. This is for sustainability reasons because we need to be using less raw materials and, in things like transportation, it impacts the energy usage of the product during it’s service life.
        • Like
      • 12 replies

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!