Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
ecoscan

Drying filament

Hi Guys.

I guess this is more a general query and not particular UM related.

I am printing with Laybrick which is a bit of a pain. Biggest problem seems to be the material picking up moist (despite being stored in a plastic container with some 'de-hydrating' sachets). While printing it causes small 'steam-explosions' in the head. I also found some condensate in bowden tube. Of course this varies from coil to coil, probably depending on time after manufacturing. Improvements can be made in design of model and Cura settings but still to few prints are really use-able.

Does anyone have an effective way of addressing this i.e. experience with a drying/storage chamber or using an heated oven for storage or likewise???

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Many Thanks in advance

It would be nice if someone developed a way to dry the filament as it's feeding into / through the Bowden tube essentially drying it in real time...I may start thinking about it if no one else developed anything viable.

do you think realtime drying is feasible? you would have to extract humidity which has crept into the core of the filament. I can't imgine a way but getting it out over time.