takes a while to print after material change

smorgana

Posted (edited) · takes a while to print after material change

using an Ultimaker 2 and Cura.

If I manually pause a print and change colors, and then restart the print... It seems to work fine.

If I use the Cura Pause plugin to pause at a layer and then change the color, and then resume the print, it takes about 2 square inches of printing before any color gets put down.

I've tried letting it extrude lots of plastic during the material change, but that seems to have no effect on this.

I've tried using the default of 5mm of retraction for the pause, and also tried zero retraction for the pause.

Any ideas?

Edited by Guest

Posted · takes a while to print after material change

How are you inserting the new filament? Either push it manually until filament starts coming out or maybe you can use the "move material" command? Basically you don't want to resume the print until you have the new color showing. I haven't done this (change colors part way through a print) in a long time and I forget what features are available. I think if you have tinkermarlin you have a lot more options. Usually I just pull the old filament out by hand and push the new one in by hand but that can be trickier on some of my UM2 printers than on others (due to higher spring tension in the feeder).

When you change material, during the initial feed you can (and I do) let it feed material until the new color comes out. I do this whether its between prints or during a pause print.

But yes of course depending on the colors, you may find some of the original color still mixed in for a while... So If I am between prints, I use move material to extrude enough until I get a pure extrusion of the new color.

Unfortunately... The move material option is not available during a pause. You can only 1. resume, 2 change material, or 3 tune. The tune menu doesn't allow you to move material.

If you change material and go right into "move material", and wait for the head to come up to temp.. It takes quite a bit of knob turning before any material extrudes out.

My impression is that after a color change during a pause , no material is extruded at all for a while. I know this because I was printing a vertical thin object. It printed several layers before material started extruding, and eventually started printing "in the air" once material started coming out.

This is odd because, as I said, during the material change, you can allow a lot of material to flow out before hitting "ready" to go on to the next step in the change material process.

It is as if it is retracting material after the color change, and it is not accounted for in the printing process.

Note this is not a noticeable problem if you only change colors between prints because at the start of every print, the printer extrudes quite a bit of material at the edge of the build platform before starting with the print. Ever notice you can hear the material feed motor running well before material starts to come out?

It is as if it is retracting material after the color change, and it is not accounted for in the printing process.

Yep, sounds similar to this thread...

Thanks! I'll give that solution from the other thread a try.