2 GB limit for SD Card in Ultimaker 2

Zeni

Posted · 2 GB limit for SD Card in Ultimaker 2

Hi

I need to use new SD card for my Ultimaker 2. It says in manual:""

SD-card: Secure Digital memory card that can store digital data. The card that can be used with the Ultimaker has to be an SD-card and not an SDHC card. It has to be formatted with FAT16 or FAT32 with a maximum capacity of 2GB. ""

Is it true with new firmware also? Can I use 8 or 16 or 64 GB SD card?

I am asking this as I am having hard time finding 2 GB SD card. They say it is no more available.

Can I use micro SD card with adapter?

Zeni

I don't know the official specs, but the cards in my two UM2's are both SanDisk 4GB SDHC cards, Class 4, and both were delivered with the printer from Ultimaker. They are from begin 2015.

The "class" is about the maximum data transfer speed that the card can read or write, which is important for HD-video (usually requires Class 10). But I think for 3D-printing anything will do, since everything else in the system will be slower anyway...

Thanks a lot geert_2 for this very good news. I will try SDHC card of higher specs. and report my finding here on Monday.

Posted (edited) · 2 GB limit for SD Card in Ultimaker 2

I used 32 GB Kingston class 10 SDHC card and It worked fine.

I think manual needs updating at many places.

Edited by Guest

You can use basically any SD card.

Hi there.

The max size is 32GB, this is the limit for all types of SD cards on Arduino.

Arduino only supports SD and SDHC (max 32 GB).

Cards that's larger than 32GB are of type "SDXC" and are not supported by the Arduino libraries as far as I'll know.

I've used 32 GB since 2016 with no issue, -and I'll never erase any files from this SD and sure it'll take some time to fill it up!..

Just counter rotate when (on Ultimaker printers for sure) looking for the last installed file -and it is the first -easy.

There is no issue using a flash memory this way, well except for dust (maybe) at the contacts.

Thanks

Torgeir

Mine are both: Sandisk, SDHC, 4GB, speed class 4. Any speed-class should do, as they are all faster than the printer anyway.

With most of my gcode-files being 2 to 5MB, it could contain about 1000 files.