Laser attachment for engraving - Ultimaker 2

Posted · Laser attachment for engraving - Ultimaker 2

I am not sure if it is a good idea to add laser cutting/engraving stuff to a machine that is not designed for it.

You would first need to completely cover the machine with a laser-safe enclosure, or else it may be cutting/engraving your skin and eyes too. A laser that can cut through metal, surely can cut through skin, light sensitive eye-cells and even skulls.

And then the rays bouncing around still may be cutting/engraving the inside of the machine: the print head, rods, belts, glass plate, aluminum heated bed, side panels,...

I am not sure if it is a good idea to add laser cutting/engraving stuff to a machine that is not designed for it.

You would first need to completely cover the machine with a laser-safe enclosure, or else it may be cutting/engraving your skin and eyes too. A laser that can cut through metal, surely can cut through skin, light sensitive eye-cells and even skulls.

And then the rays bouncing around still may be cutting/engraving the inside of the machine: the print head, rods, belts, glass plate, aluminum heated bed, side panels,...

While I agree that you shouldn't look directly at it or stick your fingers under the laser, those units do need to be focused to actually cut anything... So I wouldn't worry too much about damaging the machine... You do need to be careful with your eyes though.

While I agree that you shouldn't look directly at it or stick your fingers under the laser, those units do need to be focused to actually cut anything... So I wouldn't worry too much about damaging the machine... You do need to be careful with your eyes though.

Engraving isn't that powerful than cutting, lasers can be slightly powerless so it could work...

Beside yes of course you still have to securize your engraving area but a small laser that we can already find in small DIY projects .

Ha, okay. That makes things a bit easier. When I hear the word "laser", I still think of those big, old devices we had in school, emitting light that runs for 100km in a knife-sharp beam. Sort of scrap military or scientific stuff. :)

But that said, I still would wear very dark laser-safe glasses, as long as spare eyes are not available on the market...

Look at the Endurance laser engraver. I think that with attention to safety features it could be added, and the higher power version might even cut 1.5 mm wood or acrylic, which would suit me. I am keen for someone with more engineering ability than me to try, so that they can tell me how to do it