UM2 Frame .dxf Files

neptuna

Posted (edited) · UM2 Frame .dxf Files

Hi guys,

I am new to ultimaker community and also to 3D printing. I am planning to build UM as my first 3D printer. I first look at UMO+ then I decided to build UM2.

I order the materials and in the meantime I was planning to build the frame but I could not find the .dxf files. I have been searching for them for almost 3-weeks but no luck. There are step files in GitHub but I cannot convert them, I tried Freecad but again no luck.

I found the .dxf files for UMO+ and UM2 extended but I could not find for UM2. So what I am asking is, if anyone has dxf files could share it. I am planning to build it with aluminum and plexiglass using CNC.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Edited by Guest

Posted · UM2 Frame .dxf Files

I have not seen them also. But I would advise you to just build the extended as it won't cost much more to make. Most things are the same and you have the added benefit of having an extended.

I have not seen them also. But I would advise you to just build the extended as it won't cost much more to make. Most things are the same and you have the added benefit of having an extended.

I consider that also but people say UM2 is better than UM2 extended. What do you think about that?

I'm sure the dxf files are also on github.... and you can create dxf files from the step files using free fusion360

Thank you but I could not manage it to work on my mac, I tried Freecad but that one did not save files in .dxf format now I am going to try Onshape.

I have both and I would get the extended. It does get a little bit of vibration lines on tall parts but small items that you would normally print on the UM2 are the same, for the flexibility it's worth it to have the extended.

The UM2go has the best quality and is my most used printer.

• Like 1

UM2 panels are milled. DXF files usually don't work for milling, you need a STEP or IGES file for that.

DXF files for the UM original are here link

• Like 1

I use dxf files in cambam, for my shapeoko cnc.... you obviously have to set the different 'actions' on the different parts in the dxf.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · UM2 Frame .dxf Files

Thank you guys. I think I am going to buy the frame :) What do you think about the wood frames on aliexpress?

Edited by Guest

Good luck!!

• Like 2

My experience with a wood frame was horrible. You want quality buy to a ultimaker distributor. I think everything except the sidepanels can be ordered (mail to your closest distributors). Also in my experience the price it's pretty much alike.

• Like 1

The original DXF files are in the same location as the panel pdf/step files, for example;

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2Extended/tree/master/2211

look in the BOM to see the folder/part numbers for the panels.

• Like 1

That's the extended not standard um2

Im sorry. I highlight the subject, but the links are dead. Does anyone have a um2 ( I mean this printer ) frame for laser cutting nor for cnc. Thank you for everyone 🙂 

Does anyone have it 😕 

Ultimaker 2 frame panels are designed to be milled, not laser cut.

3D-step files can be found on the Github page.

you can adjust the UM2 files for laser or CNC, i've done it for a custom CNC'ed  UM2GOext. for an UM2 its probably easier just to take the UMoriginal frame files and make the adjustments you want/need