Need round, smooth finish on cylinder

Tony

Posted (edited) · Need round, smooth finish on cylinder

Hey guys,

Recently bought an Ultimaker 2 Extended + and am still pretty new to this stuff. When printing a cylinder, it creates a hex like pattern with about 24 flat faces around, however it needs to be a smooth surface.  This is only a prototype and durability isn't of an issue.  I am using Ultimaker PLA.  The drawing came from AutoCad then Cura. It is going to be used as a demonstration for a product which has a smooth, round finish.  I printed the UM2 Cylinder that came on the SD card with the printer and it was much smoother around. Is this due to the wall thickness?

Was wondering if there are any settings to change to achieve this desired finish.  Again, I am new to this and would appreciate any help.

Thanks  

Cylinder.thumb.JPG.81c31d0ace3507d0ffa4d9bccb117aca.JPG

My print

5a331e3ba40b9_um2cylinder.thumb.JPG.5e05eeb52ccb24d4dd58a247fa4bb614.JPG

UM2 Cylinder print

Cylinder.thumb.JPG.81c31d0ace3507d0ffa4d9bccb117aca.JPG

5a331e3ba40b9_um2cylinder.thumb.JPG.5e05eeb52ccb24d4dd58a247fa4bb614.JPG

Edited by Guest

Posted · Need round, smooth finish on cylinder

This is a problem with the model. I'm not familiar with AutoCAD but there should be an option somewhere that dictates how detailed the export of the model should be. In this case it is representing a circle with 24 line segments, there should be an option somewhere to increase this number to get a higher resolution on the exported part.