Where to edit Firmware / esteps for UM2

axislab

Posted (edited) · Where to edit Firmware / esteps for UM2

I am having a heck of a time trying to calibrate my extruder.

I am trying to find where, and HOW to update the extruder steps on my UM2.

Doing the 100 test, I get 75mm of filament moved. That is free moving and not being pushed through the nozzle.

Where can I find the value to change?

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Posted · Where to edit Firmware / esteps for UM2

M92 E97.6

M500

M92 E sets the esteps

M500 Writes the change on the printer memory.

Remember to add a 'return' after M500 or the gcode won't be executed.

If you want my info of how to adjust the esteps read https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/20556-ultimaker-original-175mm-filament-conversion and go to the 'The feeder' point. Also, imo, it's quite important to calibrate the esteps while at the desired temp so you check how much esteps you actually need at X temp.

Also, check that the feeder it's actually pushing the filament, since the standard um2 feeder has a gap that doesn't help at all to grip 1.75mm filament. IMO the best with 1.75 filament it's IRobertI + mk7, and probably a new U bearing not a flat one. But so far I print a lot with just the standard bearing. (I use um2 hotends on my umo+)

My question is where? and how do I enter that?

On any other of my printers, I open arduino/marlin, find the old value, change it and re load.

Where do I even find my old esteps value. Is the E97.6 ultimaker 2 or Ultimaker Original?

Mine is a UM2

If you use the tinkergnome firmware you can see the current steps and directly change it on the printer.... as simple as rotating the main selection wheel...

I am not understanding at all.

What would I do with a text .gcode file after that?

Where can I find my current value to even calculate my new number? I'm moving 75mm out of 100.

Is there seriously not a simple, step by step guide anywhere for stupid people like myself?

• Like 1

The text file gcode is to manually update. I would advice you just install tinkergnome firmware and the adjusting of e steps is just in the advance menu...

• Like 1

Am I able to flash to the Tinkergnome firmware through the arduino software, just like any other marlin firmware?

Or is there a different process. Just asking before I screw anything up. I don't see any process instructions on the tinkergnome page.

• Like 1

You can use cura for it .... old cura... the 15.xx versions

From left to right on the sharks, you can see the battle I was fighting.

TinkerGnome firmware and adjusting the esteps is doing the trick!

Now just on to dialing in the flow and a dozen other settings. Thanks for the help guys. Finally running 1.75mm on this machine.

5a331e88d966f_IMG_20160623_1735465481.thumb.jpg.32d657d9a91e5228f42616e19675ba15.jpg

5a331e893e661_IMG_20160623_1735326251.thumb.jpg.aacea46b56892bb1504c510e7cedd924.jpg

5a331e88d966f_IMG_20160623_1735465481.thumb.jpg.32d657d9a91e5228f42616e19675ba15.jpg

5a331e893e661_IMG_20160623_1735326251.thumb.jpg.aacea46b56892bb1504c510e7cedd924.jpg

• Like 1

Although you've already solved your problems thanks to the awesome TinkerGnome, you may still interested in knowing how to modify E steps in the firmware and how to compile and upload the program to the board.

To answer your question: yes, basically the process is the same as with any other version of Marlin in any other Arduino board. There is only a problem with the Wire library that comes preinstalled in the Arduino IDE. There are different ways to avoid the problem but maybe the easiest way to solve it is to just remove the lib folder from its location.

Go to the Arduino IDE library folder (".../Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/libraries") and remove (or move outside) the one called "Wire".

The Ultimaker 2.x PCB is based on Arduino Mega 2560 so you can choose that board in the IDE and it will work perfect.

Now you can download the official firmware from Ultimaker's GitHub: Ultimaker2Marlin where you'll find a "Marlin" folder, this is what you've to copy to your Arduino projects folder.

And finally, I don't really get why don't you already know where to change the E steps since you already have done the same with other reprap printers. You have to edit the same "Configuration.h" file. Find the line:

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80.0, 80.0, 200, 282}

where you specify the {X, Y, Z, E} steps, so change the last number to whatever you need.

It's important to remember that once you've uploaded the firmware to the board, you have to do a Factory Reset from the printer's menu for this setting to be updated.

Why would you edit marlin to change esteps if can be done by gcode?

It depends on your interests and your background. If you're only interested in changing the E steps once and you don't plan to modify anything else or to create your own custom firmware, certainly it won't be the fastest way to do it, you just need a couple of G-codes to do the job.

In my case, I love robotics, programming and electronics, I've build my printers from the BOM and schemes. I modified original parts to match 1.75mm filament/PTFE needs, changed the feeder, tested different drive gears... and I'm also coding a custom firmware that fits my taste and needs...

So to answer your question: You don't have to edit Marlin, it's only the way to do it if you want to. I was only answering the cuestion he made about building firmwares from source.

• Like 3

Now just on to dialing in the flow and a dozen other settings. Thanks for the help guys. Finally running 1.75mm on this machine.

Hi, Can you tell me the parameters that you used to recoil when printing the CtrlV M4 tests and also for other prints. And then as you have changed the values of esteps?

If you have mounted a MK8 for the feeder?

Hi, Can you tell me the parameters that you used to recoil when printing the CtrlV M4 tests and also for other prints. And then as you have changed the values of esteps?

If you have mounted a MK8 for the feeder?

I too have problems of under-extrusion since I switched to the filaments from 1,75mm.

You can use cura for it .... old cura... the 15.xx versions

Hi ultiarjan,

Can you explain once I upgraded the firmware you're talking about, how can I then go to appropriately modify all the parameters of esteps and other parameters of the feeder so as not to have more problems under-extrusion?