Support walls to thick

Persev

Posted (edited) · Support walls to thick

Support Wall Thickness Question: I made two prints of the same .stl file from CURA 15.04.5 one following the other. They should have the same  basic/advanced settings/ material settings on Ult2+printer. Everything should be the same.  Yet on the 2nd print, the support wall thickness touching the buildplate came out over 1mm thick(much much thicker) and basically made the support structure a nightmare to peel away. The first print I could peel away the support with my hand in 5minutes. I have to use a needle nose /clipper on the 2nd print.

I dont want this problem to happen again. My cura settings where .1mm layer height and .8 mm bottom /top and shell thickness for both prints. Grid support pattern  for both and 15% support infill. //trying again reduced infill support to 10%

Can someone point to or explain which parameters influence the support wall thickness? Included is pic of how thick the support walls are on the 2nd print . Is there anything I can do with the 2nd print? Besides make another print, are there good ways to remove super thick supports stuck in hard to reach/pull out cracks on the 2nd  print? What should I verify to ensure that the support wall thickness doenst come out to the same or in this case thicker than  the parts shell walls?

supportwallnightmare.jpegsupportwallverythick.jpeg.f16a68a0efda76b1face153bea04d95c.jpeg

supportwallverythick.jpeg.f16a68a0efda76b1face153bea04d95c.jpeg

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · Support walls to thick

Hi,

Could you put abigger picture and also show us a pic from the 1rst support ?

We can't see anything right now...

Heres a  pic from the 1st support structure:

normalsupporthickness.thumb.JPG.48a5afb66ccfe968432ee024b05e7e5d.JPG Its pretty normal in respects to being very thin and easily breaks away when pulled on with only fingers. Comparing to the first picture (2nd thick support above), is very solid, doenst even flex when using pliers, cannot be peeled away without first cutting with a metal tool. Its as thick or thicker than a part outside wall thickness. The overall problem is the support structure for the 2nd print (removing the support dmgs the part to much). What are the ways I can ensure that the support structure walls arent' super solid and super thick (first pic)? What are the machine settings that influence support wall thickness? I didnt change any settings from the first print to the 2nd yet the 2nd print support walls were 10x thicker in the same locations.Is it  gcode? There were no differencees I know of: same machine, same stl file, even loaded saved profile settings from slicer(cura) . What would cause the support to suddenly go super steriod and become much much thicker?

normalsupporthickness.thumb.JPG.48a5afb66ccfe968432ee024b05e7e5d.JPG

Edited by Guest

Posted · Support walls to thick

It happens sometimes but I don't think it's a a gcode problem, maybe more a mechanical one.

Sometimes it happens to me even with exactly the same model, launched right after the first one and it's related to the bed level !

Beccause you're [maybe suddently] too close from your plate, filament is getting totally crushed and makes it thicker than it should be