Retraction in Cura 2.1.2

Picaflor

Posted · Retraction in Cura 2.1.2

Hello

My question is only about Cura 2.1. (not 15.xx)

To printing a Wood filament I need RETRACTION SPEED 40mm and RETRACTION DISTANCE 5.5mm. In Cura I cannot see or change this values. Are this values saved in the machine json file or in the material file (UM2+)?

Is the only solution to modify the json file with a text editor (or the material file from the printer) and how must show my command? Exist a manual/description for this part?

I can do this without problems in my Simpify3D and I not will beginning with Cura 15.xx what is EOL. So my question is about a possibility in Cura 2.1

Thanks for a hint

• Like 1

Retraction speed & retraction distance are settings in the material category and should be changable. You do need to make them visible first in preferences.

I've just tested it from source and it works for me (do note that this is a code base that's already quite a bit ahead from 2.1, so it could be that it was broken and fixed in the meantime)

Thanks nallath for your reply.

Retraction speed & retraction distance are settings in the material category and should be changable.

Retract.thumb.jpg.522556751cfc92288bcb1414a209b775.jpg

As you can see, this values I found but are every time gray, not changable. But with luck I found in the printer men) (on the printer) an entry to change this two values.

Retract.thumb.jpg.522556751cfc92288bcb1414a209b775.jpg

You need to enable retraction as well.

Sure, yes. Retraction IS enabled, but the other values are all times inactive...

I have a lot of values what are every time disabled (in german and english version) for me not made sense values without the possibility to changes. Can be I have a problem with my installation?

Those properties are inherited, ultimately, from the ultimaker2.json file, in which they are all set to "enabled", "False".

"overrides": {       "material_print_temperature": { "enabled": "False" },       "material_bed_temperature": { "enabled": "False" },       "material_diameter": { "enabled": "True" },       "material_flow": { "enabled": "False" },       "retraction_amount": { "enabled": "False" },       "retraction_speed": { "enabled": "False" },       "retraction_retract_speed": { "enabled": "False" },       "retraction_prime_speed": { "enabled": "False" }   }

Not sure why this is so, but if you edit that file and set the retraction items to "True", they should show up in Cura and be changeable.

Those properties are inherited, ultimately, from the ultimaker2.json file, in which they are all set to "enabled", "False".

Correct, with change of this values I can modify in Cura.

But a little warning - as I can see, this all are values, what I can modify on the printer and the print ignore the values from Cura for this cases and use the defaults from the printer.

Ohh, I found this link what make the problem more clear.

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/20996-gcode-flavours-reprap-vs-ultigcode

I had a similar issue with 2.1.2 but with the skirt lines

I had the option for brim lines but couldn't get the amount of skirt lines to display despite them being enabled in settings Changing the profile to high quality, then manually editing things down my settings gave me the ability to set skirt lines to 4 finally.

I had a similar issue with 2.1.2 but with the skirt lines

I had the option for brim lines but couldn't get the amount of skirt lines to display despite them being enabled in settings Changing the profile to high quality, then manually editing things down my settings gave me the ability to set skirt lines to 4 finally.

Yes, the profiles shows very different. I think it's depending the selected printer.