Cura 2.1.2 and duplicating models

catohagen

Posted · Cura 2.1.2 and duplicating models

Hi,

Is there a better way to duplicate models instead of right clicking and 'duplicate object'....if I need 20 objects its

takes 40 clicks with mouse....it would be faster to load the model in old cura, multiply 19 times and save as a new

stl....but then I loose 'print one object at a time' feature :)

You could make 3 duplicates in a row or column (for 4 total), group them and then duplicate the group 4 times (4 x 5 = 20).

That's the only way I know to do it at this point.

I suggest to use Cura 15.04.6, there you just right-click an object, choose "Multiply object" from the menu and enter how many objects you want.

Cura 2.1.2 still seems to be in some pre-alpa state, it's slow and buggy and lacks many features of the original Cura (versions 15.04.6 and older).

What features would it be lacking according to you? The only one right now is split into parts and an easy way to multiply a ton of objects in one go.

unfortunately I have to agree that multiple parts in cura 2.1.2 compared to 15.04.6 is really several steps backwords. the old cura beautifully placed the multiple objects on the platforms. duplicating repeatedly and then painfully have to shift single items around is nerve wracking ( slow in precise and objects are moved backwards when bumping into already placed objects rather then moving them. and it is so much slower and unresponsive compared to 15.04.6. just try to fill a platform say with nine objects which just have enough space on the print platform . old cura 1 click and a number. new cura takes fore ever. also the split feature is great and greatly missed. a fix could be to use the old cura to place objects and then use the split function in new cura when implemented. also scaling is still very buggy showing very strange numbers in the % columns sometimes.

What features would it be lacking according to you? The only one right now is split into parts and an easy way to multiply a ton of objects in one go.

forget one thing, please provide keyboard shortcuts (user defined ) for all commands and values. the mouse is a clunky input device. would be great to be able to define shortcuts for often changed parameters and used commands.

Well, I used 2.1.2 for the first time yesterday and wanted to split an object, and split wasn't there. Then I read this post asking about how to multiply objects and saw that's missing too. So maybe I accidentally found the only two missing features and jumped to the conclusion that many features are still missing.

But one more thing that's also missing is the ability to set the print head size, see my other post: https://ultimaker.com/en/community/21820-cura-212-crashes-into-object-in-one-at-a-time-mode

And the GUI just feels so slow compared to the old Cura. Especially the Layer view. I used to go through the layers and also check what the infill looks like, but with the new Cura I have to stop at each layer and wait for several seconds until the infill is shown.

What's also very annoying is that the point around which the print bed is rotated seems to be somewhere above the print bed. So the print bed always goes out of view when I want to look at it from the side.

In the old Cura, the point around which the print bed rotated was directly on the print bed, so you could rotate it as much as you wanted, it would always stay in view.

I don't know why this was changed, you only have to use the program for 30s you notice how awkward and cumbersome this is.

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.1.2 and duplicating models

The center-point of rotation is at the center of the object currently selected (or center of the Object Group currently selected).

You may have to deselect and then re-select the object to enable this as it does not always seems to track if you transform the object. Then your object won't float out of frame when you rotate/zoom the build window.

Edited by Guest

The center-point of rotation is at the center of the object currently selected (or center of the Object Group currently selected).

You may have to deselect and then re-select the object to enable this as it does not always seems to track if you transform the object. Then your object won't float out of frame when you rotate/zoom the build window.

You're right, that works. What I did is load an object and tried to rotate it without first selecting the object. Before you select anything, the point around which it rotates is somewhere above the print bed.

I only select an object if I want to move / resize it, so I think it would be good to have the point around which it rotates on the print bed as long as nothing is selected.

But one more thing that's also missing is the ability to set the print head size, see my other post: https://ultimaker.com/en/community/21820-cura-212-crashes-into-object-in-one-at-a-time-mode

It's possible to change it, it's not that easy anymore. But don't fret, someone (FieldOfView) at the office is working ona plugin to fix the changing of machine issues.

Especially the Layer view. I used to go through the layers and also check what the infill looks like, but with the new Cura I have to stop at each layer and wait for several seconds until the infill is shown.

Yes. It's a thorn in my side as well. But we had to make choices between stability & speed and we went for stability first. But in this case there is good news again; 2.2 is going to have a much much faster layer view!