Cura 2.1.2 - Z Seam "blob"

kr15_uk

Posted · Cura 2.1.2 - Z Seam "blob"

Ladies and gents,

Question about Cura 2.1.2 and Z Seam - on some of the prints it looks like a thick blobby line.

For example calibration cube, one corner is complete blob all the way up.

I'm pretty certain that this wasn't happening on older versions of Cura and I'm certain that it's not a printer thing either because it works fine with Simplify 3D.

Same STL - 2x completely different results.

Am I missing something what I need to tweak?!

Thanks.

Regards,

Kris M

Yipes!

Looks like over extrusion.

Do you have Retraction enabled?

How about 'Enable Combing' under Travel?

Or perhaps your print head is too hot and its oooooozing...

@DaHai8 - Thanks for the reply.

My Cura settings are pretty much unchanged apart from temp, supports and infill.

I've tried to disable Combing - still the same.

Tried to increase and decrease retraction mm and speed - still the same.

By now I think I've tried to change all possible settings in Cura just out of desperation but still the same thick corner in cube's case or just thick Z seam on any another print.

I found something.

Loaded both gcode's into Repeater-Host to see where is the difference.

If you look at the Z Seam on both you can see that Slicer leaves little gap in between but Cura doesn't.

Is there somewhere in Cura I can define that?!

Cura

5a331f6012890_ScreenShot2016-07-23at12_16_08.thumb.png.78745e7da553f157c71bac75be886c54.png

Slicer

5a331f605d35b_ScreenShot2016-07-23at12_13_09.thumb.png.e938a8c44c3a4ccecc76757080057d00.png

5a331f6012890_ScreenShot2016-07-23at12_16_08.thumb.png.78745e7da553f157c71bac75be886c54.png

5a331f605d35b_ScreenShot2016-07-23at12_13_09.thumb.png.e938a8c44c3a4ccecc76757080057d00.png

At least in Cura 2.1.2 you could play with

"Remove Overlapping Inner Wall Parts" and "Compensate Wall Overlaps"

in the section "Shell" ...

Unfortunately none of the settings in Cura reduces this very annoying Z seam.

I've changed all the possible settings in Cura but with no success so far...

Check for combing. Combing deactivates the extruder at the end of a loop so there's less pressure when it goes back after a retraction. Also, it should help with that.

On S3D I use mostly wipe+retract to have a better control of the blops, but for some materials I need combing so there's less pressure + less dripping when moving from point a to b, and more blob control.