New UM2 will not feed filament

Posted · New UM2 will not feed filament

Just setting up a new UM2, just out of the box, I was following the setup instructions then came to the filament feed steps. I am using the supplied Silver Metallic 2.85 mm filament (which looks a little bigger than 3 mm). Immediately the UM2 seemed to be struggling to grab the filament so I pushed the filament. The filament grabbed but then stalled again even though the feeder was turning and jumping. I continued to push and this worked for about 10 slow inches of feed. I noticed that the top inch of filament was broken. The feeder is skipping and will not feed the broken filament. I have not been able to remove the feed tube to clear and do not know how to reverse the feed. So I just turned off the power. Thanks for any help.

FYI My only previous experience was with a New Matter MOD-t which has the feeder in the print head.

Posted (edited) · New UM2 will not feed filament

Is it a ultimaker 2+ or 2?

Sounds like UM2, so With the power of you can just pull the filament out. It's hard to pull but will come out. Then you can remove the blue clip from the Bowden tube clamp on top of the feeder, push the white bit down and pull the tube out. You can do this on both ends and push the broken bit out with some filament.

Before running again you should sharpen the end of the filament like a pencil which will help feed in without getting caught.

If it's a 2+ you move the leaver then pull the filament out.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Also, you should be clicking the menu button after the filament exits the feeder. It will then speed up significantly to feed most of the way to the head before slowing down again.

And if the filament is breaking inside the tube that might be an indication that you have a spool of filament from an old batch that was bad.

• Like 1

Thanks! I have a bad spool of filament, it is very brittle! I have had a number of successful prints once I cleared the bad, brittle filament.

Are the little blue clips "optional", they do not seem to stay on or do very much anyway?

Trying some new ABS filament now. Really excited, I teach high school and this is a big step up from our New Matter 3d printer.

Depends on the age of the printer. The older ones the blue clip didn't really do much but the newer ones it holds the white tube clamp tight in the up position so it wont come loose.

There are ones you can print that are a bit higher on youmagine that you could use which hold the white tube clamp up.

• Like 1

ABS. Aarrgh. :( Tried many different glue, hair spray, 110degF build plate, small files, medium files.... No luck. Only stuck at all once and then the edges began to curl up. I will just stick to PLA for now. Still need to try files with a brim but currently nothing sticks initially. Thanks for all of the advice! :)