50W heater cartridge - experience?

Posted · 50W heater cartridge - experience?

Has anyone tried to use a 50W heater cartridge on UM2 with Olsson Block? The 25W heater is too weak in many cases.

Could this one be used for both small and big nozzles? Or will the temperature overshoot at 0.25 mm nozzle and a speed of 50 mm/s? I´m using nozzles from 0.25 mm to 0.8 mm.

How fast can you print with UM2+ 35W heater? The UM2 25W heater can go up to about 50 mm/s at 0.4 mm nozzle.

I have a 50w heater in my UM2go olsson block. It works great on every nozzle. You can print just as fast with 35w but 50w heats up faster from cold. I just wanted faster heat up times because of how the 2go heat bed setup works.

You just need to tune the pid settings which is best done with tinkergnome firmware but you can also do it in pronterface.

Keep an eye out for browning on the UM2 circuit board - 50w is twice what the drivers and connecting traces were designed for, and could overheat things down there.

I drilled several holes in the bottom of the metal board cover for a bit of extra ventilation while using a 35w heater.

• Like 1

Ok, is there any information how much current the board can handle? Does the board have an overtemperature cut-off for the heater?

I´m running the UM2 in an enclosed area, so the electronics become hotter than normal.

Posted (edited) · 50W heater cartridge - experience?

I found brown spots on the circuit board around the drivers after a couple of thousand hours of use with the standard 25w heater. I'd say that 50w is a fast way to burn it out unless you arrange for additional cooling.

Edited by Guest

I have a 50w heater in my UM2go olsson block. It works great on every nozzle. You can print just as fast with 35w but 50w heats up faster from cold. I just wanted faster heat up times because of how the 2go heat bed setup works.

You just need to tune the pid settings which is best done with tinkergnome firmware but you can also do it in pronterface.

Where have you bought the 50W heater?

My web shop :D

But 3D solex or any of his reseller's have them.

THANKS

Great - but I guess, shipping from NZ to Austria will cost a fortune and takes forever... :-)

b.t.w. - if I calculated it correctly...

If I would change the heater block and install a UM2-style (4mm diameter) heater cartridge on an 18V UMO (which normally uses a 6mm one), I would need around 70W @ 24V cartridge to get ~40W at 18V...

Has anybody found something like this somewhere??