Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
jrogot

Can the Ultimaker 2 Extended print filament other than ABS, PLA, and CPE?

I just received my new Ultimaker 2 Extended this morning and it prints great! I want to try printing with a larger variety of filaments, however UM does not sell them. Is this because it is impossible to print with anything other than ABS, PLA, and CPE? Or can I print 3mm Nylon or Tech-G filament by altering some settings?

You can print anything you want, as long as you don't need more than 260C (without firmware hacking) for the nozzle or ~100C for the bed. Also make sure it is no more than 3mm in diameter (most filaments are actually 2.85 even though it says 3) or it might have trouble going through the system.

• Like 1

For example, on my UM2/2+, I have printed in PLA, PLA/PHA, ABS, T-Glase, XT, Nylon (Bridge), NinjaFlex, SemiFlex, FilaFlex, WoodFill, Lay-Brick, Polycarbonate, Bendlay and I have some Poro-Lay Foam to try still.

While some materials are harder to work with than others (ABS, Polycarbonate, NinjaFlex), with the right modifications and settings, the UM2/2+ handles it all like a champ (or at least adequately enough to be usable) :)

That's just my experience so far, though. YMMV.