From umo+ to umo+2! Um2+ Maintenance Kit + um2+ upgrade

Posted (edited) · From umo+ to umo+2! Um2+ Maintenance Kit + um2+ upgrade

I just stumbled on this while navigating on tr3sdland (spain Ultimaker center)

Maintenance-Kit-Ultimaker-2-.jpg

https://ultimaker.tr3sdland.com/producto/kit-mantenimiento-ultimaker-2/

I was wondering. With this, and a UM2+ Upgrade kit it could be possible (without printing new slideblocks or having to search for reliable gt2 sources) to make a umo+ fully um2.

Of course the differences would be:

- Endstops areas would need to be moved (not hard with a drill)

- Firmware would need some tweak to work with new endstops positions

- It would be missing the shaft spacers (printable)

So @Ultimaker ....

Would not make sense to make a umo+2 kit that could include a full um2+ kit with this Maintenance kit and add a um2+ screen controller to um2 so we can all move to the more advanced firmwares an unify all?

I can see it in my mind so clearly. Guides printed in paper to drill the new endstop locations, and a beautiful video explaining all the steps to move a 995€ already great printer to a umo+2. It could even include fully closed sidepanels for even more stability! Oh that could be so awesome!!

@sandervg pretty please? (Cat face emoji)

Edited by Guest

Posted · From umo+ to umo+2! Um2+ Maintenance Kit + um2+ upgrade

Does it make sense to buy one printer and make another printer out of it just by replacing every part? Isn't that just the most expensive way to buy a second printer?

• Like 1

I think that super mega hype upgrade kit you're suggesting won't exist for one small reason: the UMO+ and UM2 family are focused on different type of users.

It's really cool, and between you and me (and everyone on the internet), I prefer the UMO+. I've upgraded it UM2 printhead and feeder motor, and it's really nice. And as you can install the UM2+ upgrade kit, it can be even better. The coolest part is that you don't have to hack almost anything (small firmware update and printing an adapter).

Buying more spare parts and drilling the frame may be too much for someone who just bought it's UMO+, but for people who already have an Ultimaker 3D printer, this ideas are great!

@neotko I'm proud of you, keep destroying and torturing Ultimakers for the sake of the community!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

It is a cool idea for anyone who already has an UMO+ and perhaps wants to try something new or continue hacking. I don't think such a thing would be supported or developed by Ultimaker, it would make the positioning of the machines too complex and as mentioned, the added value in print quality is so-so. Probably only interesting to a small amount of users. If Agustin or Dimensioneer didn't kill your inspiration yet ;) it is something I can see coming from the community as an optional mod.

Btw, sorry for the late reply but as you know I was on a holiday, good to be back with my buddies!!

• Like 1