Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
dylanblackmer

100% density.

Hello all,

I am printing a piece for my PC.

My duel GPUs continue to come slightly unplugged from their ports during game play causing frequent cutouts on my display.

The premise of the piece is that it holds the GPUs down.

To hold the part in place I use 2 screw holes located on the top.

I would like to keep my build at 20% density to save time and money but I'd like the local area around the holes to be at 100% to keep stability and strength.

To see the part you can go to my account and see my GPU Holder part or you can go to thingiverse here:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1713249

Thanks for all your help, please let me know if this is possible on CURA or not.

Thanks again!

-Dylan

There's lots of tricks to change infill for different parts of your print.  One trick is to put tiny cylinders inside your print - maybe 0.1mm in diameter in the area where you want solid infill.  Cura will put walls around these tiny cylindrical holes and strengthen your print in that region.

Another trick is to use S3D (not free - simplify 3d) which allows you to choose regions where you can see "this region should have 100% infill.

Cura 2.X now allows this also - you split your part into multiple parts in CAD by cutting it up into 2 or more prints.  Then load into Cura - do different infill for each part (icon on the left side) then merge them all back into one part again.  I don't think it's explained in the manual yet. "merge" is one of the key words.

I recommend the needles since you are publishing on thingiverse and since this will work with pretty much all slicers for all people.

You might need ABS as GPUs can get hot!

Edited by Guest

There's lots of tricks to change infill for different parts of your print.  One trick is to put tiny cylinders inside your print - maybe 0.1mm in diameter in the area where you want solid infill.  Cura will put walls around these tiny cylindrical holes and strengthen your print in that region.

Another trick is to use S3D (not free - simplify 3d) which allows you to choose regions where you can see "this region should have 100% infill.

Cura 2.X now allows this also - you split your part into multiple parts in CAD by cutting it up into 2 or more prints.  Then load into Cura - do different infill for each part (icon on the left side) then merge them all back into one part again.  I don't think it's explained in the manual yet.  "merge" is one of the key words.

I recommend the needles since you are publishing on thingiverse and since this will work with pretty much all slicers for all people.

Thanks

Cura 2.X now allows this also - you split your part into multiple parts in CAD by cutting it up into 2 or more prints.  Then load into Cura - do different infill for each part (icon on the left side) then merge them all back into one part again.  I don't think it's explained in the manual yet.  "merge" is one of the key words.

I like this response but I ran into a new issue.

The current Cura 2.x does not support Lulzbot Taz (5, in my case).

I cannot print from Cura to my printer with this software version, do you happen to have any insight on when this might change?

I am currently using ABS.

Edited by Guest

Cura 14 is still available. Lots of people created configuration files for Cura 14. There aren't so many yet for Cura 2 as the official released version as of today (august 2016) is too slow for most people (there's a new unreleased version that is amazingly fast - when that comes out people will suddenly start using Cura 2).

As people (you?) create machine configurations for Cura 2 they will get slowly included in the release. The Ultimaker employees working on Cura are currently trying to implement lots of new features and fix bugs and it's not in their purview to create profiles for competing machines but they are quite happy to include them in future releases if someone creates one. I know a few profiles for other machines have been created already for Cura 2.X.