Funky Brim???

eric-rea

Posted (edited) · Funky Brim???

I just outfitted my Ultimaker 2 with the 2+ Upgrade kit and it prints great! Except...

Although the print itself comes out very clean, my brim get very distorted for some reason and the area that is distorted is prone to warping. Any thoughts?

upzr5eb9h6evtmpe3vhx6v2od83yoglb.jpg

wgruzohgrm24gk1dv1bf7y0sfspphwtv.jpg

Apologies if this has been answered somewhere else. I did a bit of searching on here, but could not find a solution.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Funky Brim???

Hi @Eric-Rae,

thank you for your post! Could you perhaps upload some more pictures of your brim that show a little bit more of it? For example, from the top view?

How does the bottom of your print look like? Is it flat and glossy like a mirror?

Have you made sure to level the bed to your best accuracy after the upgrade?

Posted · Funky Brim???

Hello! Thank you for responding. Sorry the other shots weren't very detailed. Hopefully these are better. The brill on the underside at the extreme ends is not glass smooth, and at the worst part, the print itself started to lift off the plate. Interestingly, the underside of the print everywhere else looks great, but when I tried to print without brill (pla 60c, 210c) the print lifted off the plate and warped in one area.

What appears to be happening is that after a couple rings of brill, the nozzle starts to smudge the lines and they become increasingly ragged. When it gets to printing the bottom layer of the model, it evens out...

Penny for your thoughts!

wp8yfxty6vnbudb2lit2lrteletolr25.jpg

hh3iggkaih1vr32c52u1qc3znm8f5s59.jpg

Posted · Funky Brim???

Maybe...

- First layer speed too high for that material? Not all pla sticks the same, some are worse/better

- Bed level might need a slight counterclock twist on the 3 screws of the bed (adjust the same amount on the 3 spots to keep the bed at level.

Posted · Funky Brim???

I would also check bed leveling again, turn it slightly higher..

Alternatively, have you ever flipped the bed (upside down?)

And I wanted to add it is called 'brim', not 'brill'. Just so we have our terminology straight ;)

Posted · Funky Brim???

Hey guys, I'm happy to report it was a simple plate issue. I flipped the plate, then during printing, I raised it up slightly and could see the difference in the brim as it printed.

Thanks for the tip (and the correction)!!! :D

• Like 1