Printing perimeters in one shot

fma

Posted · Printing perimeters in one shot

Hi!

I would like to know: is there a way, in Cura 2.x or in previous versions, to tell Cura to print all perimeters of each shell in one shot, instead of printing first wall of each shell, then go back to print the second one and so on?

First, it takes much more time to print, as the head as to go back and forth arround the part.

Second, when printing a small perimeter (especially circle) of the first layer, it tends to break it, as the head goes away at full speed at the end of the loop; depending of the direction, it can unstick what it just printed... Even on large perimeters, it can leave it unclosed.

I'm wondering what is the purpose of the current behaviour? What is the gain of doing one perimeter wall at a time of each shell? Could it be possible to add a switch in Cura 2.x to choose one or the other behaviour?

Thanks,

Frédéric

• Like 1

An older version of cura used to let you choose the order (outer shell, infill, inner shell). All 6 possible orders I think. It doesn't seem to be in cura 15. I'd go back to cura 13. Anyway this is no longer selectable as it is the order for the best quality look. You basically want to do the outer shell after the inner 2 shells for it to look the best. Also you want to change Z height somewhere during infill or inner shell (not on outer shell). I think if you change your order your parts will look worse - for some other reason - there's always tradeoffs.

In fact, I don't want to choose the order, but have them print one after the other, without doing anything else in between... I compared Cura behaviour with anogher slicer, and I really don't see any difference on the final print. But, as said, small circles of the first layers are ofen crap in Cura, and I sometimes have to cancel and retry the print to get the first layer OK, slowing things down using Repetier host slider...

I tried to deactivate combing, and it improve things, as Cura stops and does a retract at the end of each perimiter. But this slows things down a little more :O(

Yup irritating isn't it. I have a number of parts which I just watch and say "Why are you doing this - you are costing my customers money". It knows it is doing a wall so why not do the adjacent wall(s) at the same time; all that unnecessary retraction and pressure differences, makes no sense to me