Cura for linux

Gurtaj89

Posted · Cura for linux

Hi,

Can someone suggest a combination of Cura and Ubuntu that works?

I have tried a lot with different versions of the two but without any success. Cura simply fails to recognize the printer while I can see the device name under lsusb issued from the terminal.

Posted · Cura for linux

WHat version Ubuntu are you using. I had 14.04 and now run with 16.04. And I run Cura 15.04.6.

What version Ubuntu do you use? On 14.04 you have to patch the python part to allow the 250000 baudrate that the printer uses.

It could be that you have problems with permissions for the serial communication. You can check that by running cura as root. If it works running as root then it is the permissions of the usb configuration...

Posted · Cura for linux

What printer are you trying to use, and what version(s) of Cura did you try?

I have an Ultimaker 2 Extended+. I have tried Ubuntu 14.04, 15.04 and 16.04 along with different Cura versions but none have worked. As mentioned in the post below, I am not sure how to run Cura as root . What I did was to download Cura and run the software installation from the downloaded file. Do I have to run it from the terminal using sudo?

Does anything else needs to be done as well?

Posted (edited) · Cura for linux

Don't know if it is relevant for the UM-Hardware but for some other printers, on Ubuntu it's necessary that you (the user) belong to the group "dialout" to be able to communicate via USB with the printer.

Give this a try (in a terminal):

sudo adduser $USER dialout

Edited by Guest

Posted · Cura for linux

For the UM2 family of printers (UM2Extended+ included) it is highly recommended that you print via SD-Card. If you really want to print via USB, please try version 15.04 for now.

Posted (edited) · Cura for linux

For the UM2 family of printers (UM2Extended+ included) it is highly recommended that you print via SD-Card. If you really want to print via USB, please try version 15.04 for now.

I am trying to update the firmware of the printer using an Ubuntu system. It just would not allow me to that. I am in fact using SD card for printing.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Cura for linux

Did you add your user account to the dailout group as mentioned by bernjdm?