Feeder Motor with Dual Extrusion works in wrong Direction

Hinz

Posted (edited) · Feeder Motor with Dual Extrusion works in wrong Direction

Today we installed the new Extrusion Upgrade Kit, we decided to use the old Feeder and install it as Dual Extrusion

Now both Feeder Motors work in the wrong direction with Ultimaker-2-Ulticreatr-2X-v1-1.hex Firmware

Has anybody an idea how to invert the motor direction without having to change the cables? When we create a firmware file with the custom firmware builder the printer wont run (even when we create the "stock" firmware), propably because of the expert settings (like controler, temperatur sensor..)

Like editing the hex?

Edited by Guest

You should contact Creatr that is the one that sells that unofficial kit. So far I heard bad stuff about it and they have not post back. For example seems that with that kit you can't print with one hotend and bed, so blue tape all the way.

Anyway you should contact them or use their firmware to trry to make it work.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Posted · Feeder Motor with Dual Extrusion works in wrong Direction

Sorry, but your compilation seems a bit confusing to me...

• Which printer model are you talking about?
    • Why the UltiCreatr-Firmware and why do you want to use it together with the Extrusion Upgrade Kit?
    • What is the "custom firmware builder"?
    • You should be able to upload pictures to your gallery now - that's always a great help...

• Like 1

PRinter: Ultimaker 2

Upgrades: Ultimaker Extrusion Upgrade kit (which makes it Ultimaker 2+)

Setup: both, the old Extrusion set and the new Upgrade kits are installed at the moment (to make it dual extrusion)

we couldnt find an appropriate firmware that supports dual extrusion then the UltiCreatr firmware

custom firmware builder: https://bultimaker.bulles.eu/

Edited by Guest

The bad news is: there's no existing dual firmware for the UM2+ that will fit your needs. But that's a fact you already know...

The builder from @amedee generates firmware images for the Ultimaker Original, those are not usable for an UM2. I'm not aware of a firmware builder for the UM2 (and UltiCreatr is also a completely different thingy....)

I don't know your expectations or your technical background. Reading this sentence: "use the old Feeder and install it as Dual Extrusion"- well, it's not that easy...

If you want to make some experiments with this, you have to compile a custom firmware for yourself. The sources of the UM2+ firmware are available on GitHub.

...or just start with the dual firmware for the (standard) UM2, adjust the steps/mm and...

...swap the cables... :)

• Like 2

Thanks for you answers, alright

Ok, makes sense, dont know why i didnt read the builder description properly, thanks for that

+ I dont know why we thought it would be that easy...... but yea, brings me to another question: why didnt someone else thought of installing that second extruder before?

thanks for that link, i will try my best, what do you mean with "dual firmware", is there a link you could give me?

I dont know why we thought it would be that easy...... but yea, brings me to another question: why didnt someone else thought of installing that second extruder before?

Well... it was done before, but it's not working as a proper dual extrusion setup.

It can be useful for something like this:

PTFE-IPM.jpg

thanks for that link, i will try my best, what do you mean with "dual firmware", is there a link you could give me?

I had the firmware folder in mind that is part of the Cura installation. Inside the program folder of Cura there's a (sub-)folder with the name ".../resources/firmware"

If you swap the cables you should be able to use the "MarlinUltimaker2-dual.hex" from there.

But depending on the feeder (the old or the new one), you have to adjust the steps/mm for the e-axis (gcode M92 can be used for this).

The old feeder uses 282 steps/mm and 369 for the "plus"-feeder.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I actually have the same setup. UM2 with the + extrusion upgrade.  I also used the original to upgrade to dual extrusion.  I loaded the UltiCreatr firmware.  Thus far I have been able to get it to print the first layer without issue.  After the first layer the primary offsets on the y axis about 5mm toward the back, while the secondary nozzle does not.  The machine also decides to goto 0,0 to wipe the nozzle and hits the clip on the front left of the UM2.  I checked the gcode but could not see an issue in the commands.  I was hoping to be able to convert the hex firmware code back to readable to check/update the firmware, but alas it does not look possible.  I may have overlooked something.  Not sure how to attach the code to the post and the limit is 20000 characters. First Pic is the bottom of first layer. The second is the top of finished print. bottom_of_first_layer.thumb.jpg.561a2f55132e3ed04f98794103c89e47.jpgTop_of_finished_print.thumb.jpg.5520aac1280498d88cd645a80f301bf3.jpg

Edited by Guest

Thanks for you answers, alright

Ok, makes sense, dont know why i didnt read the builder description properly, thanks for that

+ I dont know why we thought it would be that easy...... but yea, brings me to another question: why didnt someone else thought of installing that second extruder before?

Hello Hinz,

Did you manage to have luck correcting your issue? I have pretty much the same setup.