Packaging my Ultimaker 2 for moving

Posted · Packaging my Ultimaker 2 for moving

Hello community!

I am about to move from Los Angeles to Seattle and of course my Ultimaker 2 is coming with me. Unfortunately, the original packaging for my printer is long gone. How would you suggest packing my printer to best ensure a safe moving experience?* My best idea right now is a decent-fitting cardboard box and lots of bubble wrap, but I'd like to hear any better ideas you might have.

*If it makes a difference, I expect my printer, along with most of my belongings, to be in storage for a month or so.

Are you transporting the printer or will it be done by a company?

If it's you a cardbox, with some buble wrap should be enough.

If it's going to be handle by a company, then it should be secured as much as possible

Posted (edited) · Packaging my Ultimaker 2 for moving

First of all i really wouldn't store the ultimaker more than a month in storage, i had my ultimaker 2 go stored  for 2 weeks in a storage locker and it didnt work annymore because of the cold and such. But i would wrap it in packing paper and than in a few blankets and than in to a cardboard box.

Edited by Guest

Ofc as any electronics or mechanical device there's a bare minimum temps. Did the storage has high humidity or below zero temperatures? Oil on shafts and good maintenance are always a good idea prior storage and after before use.

I would warp it on a close box with desiccant to keep away the humidity. But there's grease and lubricants that loose their effectiveness at low temps. So if that's the case it might need a full maintenance after storage. Also bellow zero C could dmg electronics if there humidity like on any other computer or mechanical device.

I would also consider locking the printhead in place with tie-wraps and remove the glass plate and pack it separately. Keeping the temperature/humidity in mind is a really good suggestion too.

• Like 1

Thanks for the thoughts, I hadn't considered the electronics in this equation. The storage isn't climate controlled but temperatures rarely dip below 0 C at my destination. The moving blanket and desiccants are good ideas. At this point, I'm expecting it to be handled by a company. If there is room for it in my personal vehicle, I'll transport it myself and the point is (somewhat) moot!

I would suggest you handle all sensitive equipment yourself: cameras, computers, 3D-printers... Or let it do by reliable family or friend.

Some transport companies will do a good job and be very careful.

But I have also seen postmen unloading a train by just throwing the boxes out onto the concrete floor, which was a two meter drop. Even boxes labeled with the "fragile - glass" symbol. To survive that, you would need 0.5m of shock absorbing material around anything.