Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
alitech

About a buy a used ultimaker 2, any advice on what to look out for?

Hi guys

I am going to be picking up an ultimaker 2 on Saturday and I wanted to get some opinions on what to look out for.

I have not used an ultimaker before and I am not sure what to look at. Can someone please give me a list of things to check / test?

I asked for the amount of hours used and the seller is unsure, however they provided me with this data

Machine on for: 1913:21

Printing 1001:23 1037m

Can someone please make sense of this? Can someone take a picture of what this looks like on the printer and what this means? I would really appreciate all the help you can give me.

Thanks.

Ali

I think is better if you do the opposite. Make photos of the printer, hotend, front, back, bottom, sticker of the printer with serial, and then we can give you some info about what we can see. There's been some upgrades for um2 so it might have them or not. There's a UM2, then they released a UM2 with option for the users to install the Olsson block and then there was the UM2+ and the UM2+ upgrade kit for UM2. So, I think is better if you upload photos and we give you our modest opinion.

What I would certainly do, is have a small object printed in front of my eyes. Then it is obvious if it works well or not.

Maybe also print a big low object (e.g. 200mm x 200mm x 0.5mm) that almost fills the build plate, then you see if all axes move fine.

Carefully watch and listen.

Also ask about the PTFE couplers in the nozzle (the white cylinders): have they been replaced recently? If not, they will be worn out and you will need to replace them.