Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
printbot

Metric M12x1.5 thread model for sharing?

Hi,

I'm looking at printing some threads but have really struglged to find some existing models online - does anyone have a length of M12 x 1.5 metric thread (could be on a bolt or similar) that they would be happy share? Ideally it would be in DWG, DXF, 3DS, SAT etc format.

Thanks in advance for any help or pointers.

Hi Printbot,

Fusion 360 is free for us Hobbyist Makers. See here:

http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/overview

Scroll about halfway down the page where it says "Free for students, enthusiasts, hobbyists, and startups" (right hand side)

You download the demo, then create an an account and register for the free subscription. Initially its good for one year and will get extended (unless Autodesk changes their minds later down the road)

EDIT: Lol, I am way too slow ;-)

Edited by Guest

I tried printing a few threads before, but they didn't work well, and I had to cut them anyway afterwards. So now I just design round holes and cut threads afterwards. You sometimes find complete thread cutting sets for 20 euro in the Aldi (in Europe).

Just be very carefull when cutting threads in PLA: it heats up so fast that the model deforms and the thread gets liquid. So that would be another option to make a thread: take an M12 inbus screw and force it into the opening, so it *melts* the material into shape. :)