Which filament is already melting at 130 °C?

Benedikt1992

Posted · Which filament is already melting at 130 °C?

Hi everybody,

as the topic already shows, I'm looking out for a filament which is melting at 130 °C. So the printtemperatur of the filament should be also around 130 °C. Normally im printing with PLA but I just wanna try something new.

The max. temperatur limit is set to 130 °C because in normal sterilisation process the temperatur is 134 °C up to 137 °C and I just want to make sure that the print is not surviving this process.

Thanks for your help.

I know that PLA is deforming at 134 °C because I tried it.

But what I need is a filament which is really melting at 134 °C so the customer is earning a fully destroyed instrument if he is sterilizing it.

Isn't your PLA already destroyed beyond being usefull at 130°C? At that temp, my PLA is usually shrinking into a ball or leaking away...

And what if your customers would use alcohols or etox to sterilise things? (Although I wouldn't recommend using etox: it is highly explosive, causes severe chemical burns, and causes cancer.)

Isn't your PLA already destroyed beyond being usefull at 130°C? At that temp, my PLA is usually shrinking into a ball or leaking away...

And what if your customers would use alcohols or etox to sterilise things? (Although I wouldn't recommend using etox: it is highly explosive, causes severe chemical burns, and causes cancer.)

I already tried the PLA in our sterilizer and it was just deforming a little bit, not that much that I want to do.

Next week I'm gonna try out some materials and will give a short report about the material and the melting behaviour at 134 °C.

Posted (edited) · Which filament is already melting at 130 °C?

Well there is Cx5 sculptable filament by Adam Beane.

And there is instamorph (PCL) filament by eSun: http://www.esun3d.net/Products/eMorph

That melts at 80-110C.

Edited by Guest

Well there is Cx5 sculptable filament by Adam Beane.

And there is instamorph (PCL) filament by eSun: http://www.esun3d.net/Products/eMorph

That melts at 80-110C.

• Like 1

I now tried two filaments of igus.

The first I tried was the iglidur I150 which produced a nice block for testing it in the autoclave. The second filament was iglidur J260 which stucked in the nozzle so I cant even test the behaviour in the autoclave.

I150 melted pretty well during the reprocessing, even more than the PLA i tried before.

I will receive some colorFabb samples this week so I will give you as soon as possible an update. Maybe I get the chance to also try the Cx5 or PCL.