3D Printer XYZ Axis Problem

thegamersite

Posted · 3D Printer XYZ Axis Problem

So, I finished building my 3D printer. I installed the firmware, etc. Whenever I try to print in repetier the X and Y axis move really fast while the Z axis doesn't go up nor down. I have tried so much to fix but I just can't find a solution. Also, I have the MK9 Extruder and for some reason the extruder doesn't feed the filament, it just stays there. In case you ask, I have not be able to print anything.

There is a video of the process, and sorry for the mess.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_tLiShymRE

You don't really belong here as this is not a UM and not Cura but whatever. :)

Did you try swapping cables between X axis and Z just to see if you can move the Z axis with the X driver and vice-versa? This will reduce the possible causes.

You don't really belong here as this is not a UM and not Cura but whatever.  :)

Did you try swapping cables between X axis and Z just to see if you can move the Z axis with the X driver and vice-versa?  This will reduce the possible causes.

What do you mean I don't belong here? This is for Cura and Marlin. I posted this here because Marlin is the program I am using for the firmware.

I tested it the way you said and the Z axis from the left seems to rotate when I connect it to the X axis pins  but when I put it back where both Z axis go, it doesn't rotate.

Posted (edited) · 3D Printer XYZ Axis Problem

Check the pins on the Z-Axis cable compared to the X-Axis cable and make sure the all the wires go to the same pins. There may be reversed wires on the Z-Axis cable or that cable may just be bad.

Also: Sounds like you have 2 Z-Axis motors (I can't view your video at the moment). Your Pots for the Z-Axis may be tuned too low and not provided enough power to turn both Z-Axis motors at the same time. Try connecting just your single X-Axis motor to the Z-Axis socket on your board and see if that rotates it.

Edited by Guest

Check the pins on the Z-Axis cable compared to the X-Axis cable and make sure the all the wires go to the same pins. There may be reversed wires on the Z-Axis cable or that cable may just be bad.

Also: Sounds like you have 2 Z-Axis motors (I can't view your video at the moment). Your Pots for the Z-Axis may be tuned too low and not provided enough power to turn both Z-Axis motors at the same time. Try connecting just your single X-Axis motor to the Z-Axis socket on your board and see if that rotates it.

I started to switch some of the extruder with one another. I see that the Z axis to the left only rotates counter clockwise but not clockwise. The Z axis from the right doesn't rotate from neither sides.

I started to switch some of the extruder with one another. I see that the Z axis to the left only rotates counter clockwise but not clockwise. The Z axis from the right doesn't rotate from neither sides.

There should be 4 wires going to each stepper, right? I think there are 24 ways those 4 wires can be wired. About 8 of the way the stepper go one way, 8 go the other way, and the remaining wirings won't let the stepper move at all or it will barely kind of vibrate.

I would check that the wiring is the same for all steppers as DaHai8 said.

There should be 4 wires going to each stepper, right?  I think there are 24 ways those 4 wires can be wired.  About 8 of the way the stepper go one way, 8 go the other way, and the remaining wirings won't let the stepper move at all or it will barely kind of vibrate.

I would check that the wiring is the same for all steppers as DaHai8 said.

They all look the same for me. I see that same color pattern for all 4 motors. I use the Nema 17 stepper motors.

Ok. If I'm understanding correctly:

1) The Left Z-Axis Motor only rotates counter-clockwise not matter which connector (X or Y) you plug it into,

2) The Right Z-Axis Motor doesn't rotate at all no matter what connect you plug it into

3) You have a Ramps board

4) All you cables are pinned the same: same wires go to same pins on every cable.

5) Plugging your X-Axis Motor or Y-Axis motor into either Z-Axis sockets and they turn? (True or False?)

If 5 is TRUE, you probably have bad Z-Axis motors (that's pretty rare, though).

If 5 is FALSE, you probably have a bad Ramps board

I don't know what kit you are building but this site that may help you double-check everything:

https://asensar.com/docs/woodmax/0001-6_woodmax_electronics/

Here's a discussion on the RepRap forum covering this issue:

http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?4,499220

One user found their pins in the cables was pushing back when connecting to the motor or board and so it was not making good contact.

Hope this helps.

Ok. If I'm understanding correctly:

1) The Left Z-Axis Motor only rotates counter-clockwise not matter which connector (X or Y) you plug it into,

2) The Right Z-Axis Motor doesn't rotate at all no matter what connect you plug it into

3) You have a Ramps board

4) All you cables are pinned the same: same wires go to same pins on every cable.

5) Plugging your X-Axis Motor or Y-Axis motor into either Z-Axis sockets and they turn? (True or False?)

If 5 is TRUE, you probably have bad Z-Axis motors (that's pretty rare, though).

If 5 is FALSE, you probably have a bad Ramps board

I don't know what kit you are building but this site that may help you double-check everything:

https://asensar.com/docs/woodmax/0001-6_woodmax_electronics/

1 - That's correct. However, after making some adjustment that I even forgot, the left Z axis now does not even rotate at all. It used to rotate counter clockwise but now when I press move .01 or .1 to the right it just rotate slightly and then it rotates clockwise to the original position.

2 - It does rotates when I put it into a different pin. I just used my multi-meter to adjust the stepper drivers to about .55 volts and still the right Z axis won't rotate at all.

3 - Yes, I have the Ramp 1.4 board with the Arduino Mega.

4 - Yes, the cables are correct as I previously said.

5 - I think I already tried that but I don't remember so i might check again.