Cura 2.3 and Ultimaker 3 extended Materials

melvincator

Posted · Cura 2.3 and Ultimaker 3 extended Materials

Hi, I am new to all aspects of 3D Printing so excuse what is potentially a stupid question.

We are about to buy an Ultimaker 3 Extended printer using PLA and PVA materials. I have been asked to take a look at the CURA software which I have downloaded and installed. When I set Print core 1 to PLA and print core 2 to PVA, I get error messages to say the material is incompatible with the selected machine or configuration and another message saying Unable to Slice. If I set print core 2 to something other than PVA, everything bursts into life. Ideally I would like to create a print in PLA with a support structure in PVA. Anybody know what I am doing wrong as I have had a "play" with all advanced settings and can find no solution - be gentle with me!!

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.3 and Ultimaker 3 extended Materials

Hi and welcome!

If your Cores are AA/AA they can't print PVA. Ultimaker has BB cores that are specially made for PVA printing. I think that's the issue.

So to print pla/pva you need AA / BB cores.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Cura 2.3 and Ultimaker 3 extended Materials

Thanks guys - this is easier than I thought it would be. :)

More silly questions - what's the difference between AA and BB cores? Is there some recommended manual that I should read to get all of this type of information in one place?

Thanks guys - this is easier than I thought it would be. :)

More silly questions - what's the difference between AA and BB cores? Is there some recommended manual that I should read to get all of this type of information in one place?

The internal nozzle geometry of the BB core has been redesigned to improve the print experience with PVA (specifically Ultimaker PVA) and avoid clogging. It is a more sophisticated material so we took all cautions necessary!

For knowledge, keep coming to the forums and take a look here: https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/manuals

The basics of 3D Printing are not rocket science, you'll pick it up fast.

Edited by Guest
    link

Is there some recommended manual that I should read to get all of this type of information in one place?

I'm not sure, if this answers your question...

...but there is a page with all Ultimaker manuals. This should be a good start.

Edit: damn... Team Ultimaker was faster... :)

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1