Cura 2.3 release - What does Cura Print speed do?

yellowshark

Posted · Cura 2.3 release - What does Cura Print speed do?

Ok I will refer to Print speed and subsidiary print speeds (e.g. infill, inner wall, 1st layer). In 15.04 Cura print speed was two things. Firstly it set the speed of all the walls as there were no subsidiary print speeds for walls. It may also, I do not know, have set the print speed for upper and lower layers, which are now controlled by their own subsidiary print speeds. I think I always thought the upper and lower layers were done at infill speed in 15.04

The other REALLY USEFUL thing that the print speed did in 15.04 was that if acted as the default for the subsidiary print speeds if they were set to 0. For someone like me that a) changes print speed a lot and b) normally runs with all speeds the same except layer 1 and travel speed, using 2.3 release from this perspective is a real PITA, especially as on my PC Cura is not recognising the tab key so if I change speed I have to change 5 speeds using the mouse to position the cursor in each input box on a laptop which is at knee level and several feet in front of me.

As all the elements of printing speed now have their own subsidiary elements as far as I can see and cannot be set to 0, what does Print speed do?

Hi @nallath it would be great if we could have back the 0 default function

Of course I realise that I have probably missed something completely obvious and will end up cowering in a damp hole somewhere, but I have to ask!

Well ya did miss something. Instead of only being able the "drop through" if the value is zero, we now have functions.

Lets say for simplicity sake that we have two settings: print_speed and print_speed_infill

In the old Cura, if print_speed_infill is zero, it would use print_speed.

In the new Cura, if the print_speed_infill is not explicitly overridden by profile or user (by means of a fixed value) it can use a formula like "=print_speed / 2" or "=print_speed".

We haven't implemented that you can use those formulas from within the GUI, but snice 2.3 it's possible to set them in the profiles. If you look at the um3_aa0.4_PLA_Normal_quality profile, you can see that the value for cool_fan_full_at_height is "=layer_height_0 + 2 * layer_height"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @nallath, OK I understand what you are saying but am unclear on the implementation. I am looking in folder …\Cura 2.3\resources\quality. There is not an ultimaker 3 folder there so I looked at the 2plus folder. I can see lots of .cfg files but cannot understand where I select/input one of the files in the GUI.

Also, an example is

raft_base_line_spacing = 1.6

raft_base_line_width = 0.8

but in Notepad it appears as raft_base_line_spacing = 1.6raft_base_line_width = 0.8

If I added infill speed and number of slower layers e.g.

raft_base_line_spacing = 1.6raft_base_line_width = 0.8infill_speed = print _speednumber_of_slower_layers = print_speed/30

How does it know that”…speednumber” are separate variables? Easy when it is a letter following a number.

Hi

but in Notepad it appears as raft_base_line_spacing = 1.6raft_base_line_width = 0.8...

How does it know that”…speednumber” are separate variables? Easy when it is a letter following a number.

In a textfile exist invisible characters to indicate a new line.

In many programming languages and under Linux OS this is a simple "LF". But Windows looks for a "CR" + "LF". This is the reason why you can't see the line-feeds in notepad.

If you want to learn more about this -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newline