Anyone retrofitted a UM2 print head on the UM original machine?

Posted (edited) · Anyone retrofitted a UM2 print head on the UM original machine?

I just received the UM2+ upgrade and realize that I'm going to be removing the original UM2 print head for the UM2+ head.   I also happen to have a thoroughly hacked/modded UM original-original machine.

Has anyone come up with a hack/mod to refit the UM2 head into the UM original-original Machine?   Perhaps  a printed replacement of the wood enclosure which allows the larger UM original rods, but permits the UM2 heater/head assembly to screw on?

Thoughts?

*B

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · Anyone retrofitted a UM2 print head on the UM original machine?

@neotko has a nice document for a UMO upgrade using the UM2 head

I've thought about re-using the UM2 head since I upgraded to UM2+   I have an Ultimaker Original but there's some question about how to make the existing electronics work (sounds hard) or replace the UMO with UM2 main board (again, pricey).

Also, I know I was looking around at replacing the guts of the UM2 print head with the latest stuff (spacer, teflon, etc)

Edited by Guest

@neotko, he does not have a UMO+     Just a UMO like me

The question is about re-using the UM2 head in the UMO

The article you linked refers to using a UM2+ on a UMO+

Edited by Guest

Posted · Anyone retrofitted a UM2 print head on the UM original machine?

The YouMagine link is for the UMO+ to UM2+ extruder

Read the description @meduza uses on youmagine and the post linked

Quote from @meduza:

"Not necessarily, we have done a upgrade with the UM2 head on a UMO with the original electronics.

You need to supply the electronics board with 24V, change out the linear regulator that supplies 12V to the arduino to a switched type that can take the higher voltage without getting too hot, and add a PT100 amplifier (E3D sells this one: http://e3d-online.com/PT100-Amplifier-Board) between the board and the PT100 sensor from the printhead."

The YouMagine link is for the UMO+ to UM2+ extruder

"It should even be possible to use this to upgrade a non-plus UMO if you also get a PT100 amplifier board."

Guys:

Neither of you really answered my question. I have an original UM. One from the very first shipment ever made -- when UM was made in the founder's apartment.

It has larger diameter rods than the UM2.

I am looking for a physical adapter that will be a new head carrier to contain the bearings from the UM original (NOT the UMO+) and carry the UM2 "Print Head" (NOT the UM2 extruder), or will adapt the UM2 heater/fan/nozzle components to bolt onto the bottom of the existing UMO head carrier (with the UMO heater/fan/nozzle components removed).

I guess no one came up with such a scenario? I'll have to design one myself.

*B

I have no idea of the parts the original original original version had. If you share pictures and specs maybe we can give you a hand.

Edited by Guest

Ah, you still have a _very old_ UMO with the 8mm rods (it was changed a long time ago, long before the UMO+)...

Instead of retrofitting those bearings to a UM2 head i would suggest to get a pair of the newer 6mm rods and using the bearings from the UM2 print head instead, it makes the whole gantry lighter and nicer.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1