How to pause at z height to change filament?

Cobalt1

Posted (edited) · How to pause at z height to change filament?

I'm about to buy an UM2+ or UM3 and wanted to know if some form of "pause at z height" (or z layer) is possible with the Cura software? If not, can I export gcode from the software, modify it to include a code to pause (M 25, M 226 or M 600), and then print that modified gcode?

Edited by Guest

Posted · How to pause at z height to change filament?

The bleeding edge cura 2.X - as of november 2016 I don't think it does support this. But I still use Cura 15.04.6 which supports this with a plugin. Older cura can be found here:

https://ultimaker.com/en/products/cura-software/list

You want the pause-at-z plugin. UM2 series printers all support pause from gcode but I'm not certain about UM3. I have a UM3 but I haven't tried to see if a gcode will pause the UM3. I'm sure UM3 will support it at some point.

There is a "Pause at Height" plugin in Cura 2.3.x

Extensions / Post Processing / Modify G-Code / Add a script / Pause at height

Does that not work on UMx printers?

Posted (edited) · How to pause at z height to change filament?

I haven't used it in years.  It works on UMO and probably on UM2.  Sounds like it works on the UM3 also according to farmerritchie below.

Edited by Guest

This M25 command worked in Gcode on my Ultimaker3.

(I have no idea why Cura2.3.1 generated it - I commented it out.)

;TYPE:CUSTOM

; -- Pause at height (5.00 mm) --

M25 ; Pauses the print and waits for the user to resume it

;LAYER:48

G0 X118.5 Y26.724 Z5.07

;TweakAtZ V5.1: executed at 5.07 mm

M117 Printing... tw@ 5.1

(I have no idea why Cura2.3.1 generated it - I commented it out.)

It turns out the I must have been exploring Cura and ran the (preinstalled?) plugin TweakAtZ 5.1 without knowing what I was doing and left it on. I later sliced a bunch of models and found that it does add GCode to stop at a specified height that works with my Ultimaker 3. It also has an option to stop at a specified layer, but I have not tested that. I suspect that that "Pause at Height" mentioned by DaiHai8 works as well.

I have a Ultimaker 2+ with Tinker firmware and Cura 2.5. "Pause at Z" works once but the second time it does not stop. Is there a minimum space between the "Pause at Z" usages. or have they still not fixed the software so you can use "Pause at Z" twice in the same model? I also noticed there are two other kinds of Pause at Z one for BQ printers and one for Repetier should I be using these?