Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Waternut13134

Cura Initial Layer Over Extruding

Hi all, I just got my UM3 yesterday and love it,However I am getting way over extrusion on my first layer. Is there a setting in cura that I can mess with the multiplier for the first layer? Ive always used S3D so im brand new to Cura and learning it as I go. Right now im messing with the flow settings but I know that will mess up the model after the first layer. Thanks for any help.

You could:

- In Cura 15, there is a setting Advanced/Initial Layer Line Width, which can do what you are suggesting, by reducing extrusion on the first layer.

- Chamfer the bottom edges of the model, i.e. a slight undercut to compensate and give a nice smooth edge instead of a sharp edge around the bottom.

- Lower the build platform slightly - try 1/8 turn of each leveling screw,

Edited by Guest

You could:

- In Cura 15, there is a setting Advanced/Initial Layer Line Width, which can do what you are suggesting, by reducing extrusion on the first layer.

- Chamfer the bottom edges of the model, i.e. a slight undercut to compensate and give a nice smooth edge instead of a sharp edge around the bottom.

- Lower the build platform slightly - try 1/8 turn of each leveling screw,

Thanks for the tip. Im using Cura 2.3.1 which I got off of UM site, I cant seem to find the Advance Initial Line Width. I even tried searching for it and I can only see Initial Line Speed. Am I missing something? Thanks

in Cura 2.3.1 there is the 'initial layer height' that is set to 0.3 mm by default. Maybe this is too much for you if your nozzle is close to the bed.

If a setting you're looking for is not there, you can add them to the list on you're right hand: preference -> settings. Or look at help -> online documentation for all the tips and guides for Cura.