Is the original feeder motor compatible to the extrusion upgrade kit?

Posted · Is the original feeder motor compatible to the extrusion upgrade kit?

Hey guys,

I was thinking about getting the Ultimaker 2 extrusion upgrade kit. My problem with spending ~470€ is that I don't need most of the parts. I don't need a completely new print head as my sensor, heater and fans work perfectly. Moreover I will soon purchase an Olsson block from a cheaper source. All I am interested in is replacing the feeder as I heard it will improve changability of material as well as grinding less on the filament reducing the occurance of under extrusion and other problems.

Now my question is if there is a difference in the new stepper motor compared to the already installed one. On the internet I find sites like aliexpress that offer the geared feeder (number 4 on the official sales site) but no motor. If I ordered one of the geared feeders will they work with the old motor of my UM2?

The feeder alone will cost about 40€, saving me about 430€ which is, let's be honest, desirable.

Thanks in advance for every answer,

Moe

Posted (edited) · Is the original feeder motor compatible to the extrusion upgrade kit?

First I would not buy a feeder of aliexpress but just get it at an official ultimaker reseller.

Yes you can use the old um2 motor but you need to modify it a bit. You need to cutt of a bit of the driveshaft. It's easy to do with any metal saw.

edit: you also need a D shaped drive shaft, some UM2's have been shipped with a round shaft, in that case you need to file it to a D shape (or just get a new motor)

You also need to double the e-steps settings in firmware. Also very easy to do when you use @tinkergnome firmware you can just do it directly on the printer menu.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Thank you very much for the reply. For a start I won't buy the upgrade and will consider your advice. Though there isn't any reseller in Germany who only sells the feeder, you can only buy the whole upgrade for 500€...

Thank you very much for the reply. For a start I won't buy the upgrade and will consider your advice. Though there isn't any reseller in Germany who only sells the feeder, you can only buy the whole upgrade for 500€...

Try again, send them an e-mail, they should be able to sell you just the feeder, if not now then very soon.

You should be able to get the feeder from our partner in Germany, iGo3D. I would also recommend to send them a message and ask for it.

On the other hand, even if your (for example) PT100 works well, there are still advantages to the entire upgrade kit.

To give you a quick rundown, the assembly of the PT100 is different, which makes it more accurate, the cartridge heater is stronger (35W), the spring is replaced by a spacer which is better for your PTFE coupler, the PTFE coupler is TFM which makes it stronger. The entire housing is glass filled, and it has a pre-installed Olsson Block.

It also has new rods, in case yours are bent or old. Just to ensure your machine works like new again.

Of course, if you don't want it, you don't need it. But just so you know you have the full picture :)

Posted (edited) · Is the original feeder motor compatible to the extrusion upgrade kit?

On the other hand, even if your (for example) PT100 works well, there are still advantages to the entire upgrade kit.

To give you a quick rundown, the assembly of the PT100 is different, which makes it more accurate, the cartridge heater is stronger (35W), the spring is replaced by a spacer which is better for your PTFE coupler, the PTFE coupler is TFM which makes it stronger. The entire housing is glass filled, and it has a pre-installed Olsson Block.

It also has new rods, in case yours are bent or old. Just to ensure your machine works like new again.

Thank you, (nicely detailed) information like this is what you should find on the sales site. The site only tells me what is new but not how it benefits in comparison to the old system. At least it doesn't to the extend I would like to see.

Edit: Oops, actually all the information you said is on the sales site. So keep up the good work! ;)

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1