Warping and un-sticking of the ABS print on Ultimaker Original with heated bed

Krooger

Posted · Warping and un-sticking of the ABS print on Ultimaker Original with heated bed

Hi All,

since it's my first post, I'd like to say hello ! I'm Mark from Poland, and I printed some PLA, with success.

When I started my endeavour with ABS.. everything goes wrong.

here's the link to few pictures of my last print: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9Y6wfbUq_f9RlZ0UERqMVAzZVE

it's red abs (obviously), nozzle:250 deg, bed:90 deg, 3mm brim, fan speed: 50 (out of 255), acetone+abs on the bed/table to adhere.

Would You be kind enough to give me some suggestions ? Is my first layer ok ? or should it be more squished ?

Thanks in advance!

Posted · Warping and un-sticking of the ABS print on Ultimaker Original with heated bed

I think you just need some bed adhesion helper. Glue stick, hairspray, abs + acetone slurry. The first layer looks ok I think. But I haven't print abs for quite a long time so maybe ithers can guve you more tips.

Btw does the top of the heater block has a massive blob leak or is just my imagination?

Posted (edited) · Warping and un-sticking of the ABS print on Ultimaker Original with heated bed

I stopped the print when it came of the bed, so this blob is actually a fantasy :)There was abs+acetone slurry, but maybe it was to thin ? What kind of glue stick should I use ? - paper glue or hairspray - any hairspray would work? :)

i just checked again the picture of the heater block.. :) yeah ! it's some pla residue, which helps maintain temperature by raising heat capacity ..

Edited by Guest

Just wondering. Fans where off right?

Hopefully someone can help you. I never print ABS. I suppose for ABS you need to have more enclosed the printer so the heat doesn't escape fast. It should help at least. Also maybe bed at 100C?

Posted (edited) · Warping and un-sticking of the ABS print on Ultimaker Original with heated bed

Set the bed to 110C. This is probably your only issue. You can start printing when you get the bed to 100C.  Enclosing the printer will help with this.   There's a big difference between 90C (below ABS softening point) and 100C (above ABS softening point).

Consider lowering the fans even more.  This part seems to have no overhangs.  If there are no overhangs and no bridging then you don't need any fan for ABS - just turn it off.

Your first layer looks squished enough but it's hard to say - more squish is always better even such that it becomes transparent.

Here's a relevant frame from the above video:

a.thumb.png.bb24aa97ff6e4ff1c571c1c027e35ecd.png

a.thumb.png.bb24aa97ff6e4ff1c571c1c027e35ecd.png

Edited by Guest