Prime Tower

kan4o

Is there an option to stop depositing material on the prime tower, once only the main extruder is operating. I'm currently printing a model with PVA support only 1/3 of the height of the model and from there on it's only nylon. It would be time and material saving to stop depositing on the prime tower, but I can't find such an option. Maybe in a future update?

Posted (edited) · Prime Tower

There will be many new prime tower feature's in Cura 2.4 the word is it should be released in Jan.17 Let's hope this will be part of it...

It should also have a less massif tower and the ability to turn on brim for the tower only.... and hopefully many more ....

Edited by Guest

Posted · Prime Tower

I really hope there would be an option to do something like the fillet function in Fusion 360 to the base of the tower for additional support and stability. Mine gets knocked down almost all of the time and I think an option like this could be a great improvement.

My towers on UM3 got knocked down for a while and a few friends and the problem turned out to be that the glass wasn't flat - if you put a ruler on the glass you can see the rear 2 corners are a bit low and the tower is on the right rear corner.

The solution was so simple! remove the glass and confirm that the problem is with the plate underneath and then just bend up the corners until it's flatter and put the glass back on. Problem solved! No more prime towers falling over!

Posted · Prime Tower

My towers on UM3 got knocked down for a while and a few friends and the problem turned out to be that the glass wasn't flat - if you put a ruler on the glass you can see the rear 2 corners are a bit low and the tower is on the right rear corner.

The solution was so simple!  remove the glass and confirm that the problem is with the plate underneath and then just bend up the corners until it's flatter and put the glass back on.  Problem solved!  No more prime towers falling over!

Even if this is apparent, wouldn't that be "fixed" by the active bed levelling?

When I watch closely how the first layer on top of the raft is deposited, I think that it's too far from it and it just doesn't stick so well.

Active leveling currently (december 2016) assumes the glass is in a plane. If your glass is shaped like a horse saddle or other shape active leveling isn't enough. Hopefully a future software upgrade will take care of this and do 9 point leveling. Or you can spend one minute (ONE MINUTE!) leveling it yourself bending up the corners. It really is that easy if you can find a straight edge that is between 10cm and 24cm long (definitely the hard part).

Posted · Prime Tower

Ok, but how would bending the plate help with the glass being shaped like a saddle? The glass would remain being shaped that way.

It was the aluminum that was pulling down on the glass. In the rear 2 corners. The glass itself would revert to flat as soon as I removed it from the bed.

Not just my Um3. At least 2 other people. I'm guessing 30% of all UM3's have this issue - probably something happens in shipping. I could be wrong. It could be that it's a known issue that they fixed many months ago.