31 to 32s

34 to 36s

40 to 48s

50 to 57s

58 to 1:03s

I don't manage to find why !

Edited by Guest

Posted · Bad sound on UM3

Have you checked if your rods are moving?

I mean the rods that are aligned underneath / with your frame, not the ones that go through your printhead.

By loosening one or two pulley's and pushing them to the frame (maybe like only 1 mm is necessary), you can lock your rod in place and eliminate this sound :)

It can't hurt but I can imagine you would like to get rid of it.

You mean the "klock klock klock"? Thats actually a feature :p (can't remember the name right now). The bed moves down just a tiny tiny bit and up again to compensate rattling from fast printer head movements.

You mean the "klock klock klock"? Thats actually a feature :p(can't remember the name right now). The bed moves down just a tiny tiny bit and up again to compensate rattling from fast printer head movements.

now that I pay better attention to the video/audio, I think you are right :p (at least, that is what @Fabreax is referring to. Perhaps it is still an idea to see if your rods are moving. Otherwise, I am probably just imagining things :p)

You could place your finger lightly on the middle Z rod (the one with the thread) while its making the sounds. You will feel a very very tiny movement during the sound, first in one direction, then in the other (moving the bed up and down again a very very little bit). If you feel nothing different to normal movement then it probably is a different problem.

Thanks a lot for your help ! My rods don't move but one of them was moving after I bought the UM3 :(.

When I touch the Z rod, it vibrates with the "klock klock" sound ! What is this feature ?

It seems to be an UM3 feature, not a gcode code.

Active leveling :) It adjusts your build plate for any offset it has detected during the first 10 layers of your print.

Posted (edited) · Bad sound on UM3

Wow ! I was looking for an issue with the rods :(. I will try with the manual leveling.

Edited by Guest

Wow ! I was looking for an issue with the rods :(. I will try with the manual leveling.

Actually it's a really nice feature. Is your active leveling not working? I would not manual level until it's necessary or you want to experiment. Or is it the sound that annoys you?

Only the sound :) I thought it was not normal !

Literally just posted about the same thing. I knew it was the active leveling, but it is loud in comparison to how much the axis actually moves (probably a fraction of a fraction of a mm). I wish I could set a threshold for active leveling. i.e. the active leveling only engages when the z-distance between two points is greater than x distance.

I have disabled the auto leveling. The sound is still here ! The Z rod moves a little bit when I hear the sound.

I compared the Z rod movement on my UM3 and UM2+.

Only on the UM3, the Z rod moves a little bit at the bottom here :

IMG_20170106_081143.thumb.jpg.dc9fee18042ffd31d9bf43556716118b.jpg

I compared the Z rod movement on my UM3 and UM2+.

Um2 Z moves at 1/8 microstepping and um3 at 1/16. They sound different because the stepper.

You could install a pin on the um2 board and double the z esteps and both would sound the same.

Best solution to work near a 3d printer is Spotify.

Edited by Guest

Ah ah :). I mean, the Z rod moves a littlebit when the printer is off ! It does not move on the UM2+

Umm. When is off it moves. You mean down? It falls? I don't understand sorry.

I'm sorry, this will more clear :

Indeed that's not normal at all. I would contact the reseller or just screw the 4 screws around the z. If the problem persists then it might be the z motor itself.

Hi, I have already screw them without effect. The reseller will send me a new motor+z rod.

• Like 1

I have what seems to be the same problem, a pretty loud and distinct rattling sound. This sounds like a mechanical issue—more like a loose part—rather than active leveling compensation via a stepper motor drive. I can feel vibration corresponding to the sound when I touch the z-axis leadscrew, and as you can see in the video, as you get closer to the z-axis stepper the sound is more pronounced.

Is this expected behavior (odd, if so), or should I contact my reseller for service?

Edited by Guest

Can you move the Z axis by hand ? As I can :

Edited by Guest

Can you move the Z axis by hand ? As I can :

Yes, of course the leadscrew flexes easily when moved, but there does also appear to be a bit of play in the motor housing like in your video.

Edited by Guest

@norbauer, active leveling should be active the first 20 mm. The first 10 to compensate for your offset, and the last 10 to phase out the offset.

Does this sound continue to be present after 20 mm into your print?

Edited by Guest
    corrected mistake.

@norbauer, active leveling should be active the first 20 layers. The first 10 to compensate for your offset, and the last 10 to phase out the offset.

Does this sound continue to be present after 20 layers into your print?

No, it's actually the first 20mm, not the first 20 layers.

I'm pretty sure you hear the z-motor do the active leveling thing.

You can also test this by turning off Active Leveling (never) AND performing an manual leveling routine. The following print will not have Active Leveling, and the ticking/grinding sound should disappear.

• Like 1

I have this same sound. Just to add to the collective.

@Tomnagel, Darn! Good catch, thanks. I corrected my original post to avoid any confusion. @zlagger, please see Tomnagels suggestion and turn Active Leveling off.

You could also sit out the first 20mm of your print, and see if it automatically disappears then. It is only the first 20mm Active Leveling is well.. active.