Ultimaker 3 power consumption

fabreax

Posted · Ultimaker 3 power consumption

To check the power use there's a remote access that shows all the data from the printer in-almost-real-time

use

http://IPofyourUM3/log.html

There's also a

http://IPofyourUM3/api/v1/system/memory/log

That can report logs of specific parts, but more about that on https://ultimaker.com/en/community/23283-inside-the-ultimaker-3-day-2-remote-access-part-1

Umm I would have to turn itnon to check but I think there was power use on the graphs... Check temperature.html or temperatures.html (I'm out of the office atm).

• Like 1

@SandervG, is there a way to monitor the UM3 power consumption ?

Let me find out!

The UM3 does not have power measurement electronics. So everything the printer can tell you is indirect. The temperature graph (http://[ip]/temperature.html ) does show the amount of PWM output it directs to the bed.

The heated bed is the main power usage. So power usage of the printer is pretty much directly related to the heated bed temperature. At 60deg (PLA temperature) the bed is at 40% power on average. With the bed being around 150W, this is ~60W for the bed. The rest of the machine is using about 60W as well, for rest of the electronics and hotends.

So the usage for PLA/PVA printing will be around 120W average.

(Note that this is a simplification of the reality, as the resistance of the bed varies with temperature, and thus the power usage varies per temperature. But it should be good enough to give a rough estimate)

• Like 2

Thanks @Daid ! 120W average is what I need :)

120W is an understatement. 180W on average with 60C bed. Peaks at 300-400W.

120W is an understatement. 180W on average with 60C bed. Peaks at 300-400W.

Do you have any data to back up these statements? The power supply is rated for max 221W, so a peak consumption of 400W is impossible.

With my cheap power measuring device I did a quick test:

- Ambient temperature 22C

- Dual nozzle print (205C and other nozzle at 100C)

- Build plate 60C

At print start, heating the build plate draws a large power of about 204W, short peak to 217W. Then, during print the power usage is about 105W.

So, David's estimate seems even to be a bit on the high side.

• Like 1