Ultimaker 3 stops connection to Cura after about 20 min

Usach

Posted · Ultimaker 3 stops connection to Cura after about 20 min

My Ultimaker 3 is connected by WIFI to my Laptop with Cura.

After about 20 min printing UM3 disconnects from Cura. Means webcam image freezes and UM3 can't be controlled any more.

I can reconnect to UM3 in "manage printers" but any time I need to walk to UM3 to allow the connection by button pressing.

Is there a way that the connection stays longer?

Is there a way to connect without manual confirmation at UM3?

• 3 weeks later...

This is one of those bugs that has proven to be a nightmare to squash. Could you guys send me logs (both from the printer & Cura) and information about your OS & network?

I'm having the same problem. Cura dropping in and out of connection with printer. Sometimes Cura will connect straight away with no problems, sometimes it will request authentication from the printer, sometimes says printer is busy when it is not so I can't send a print. There are four of us using the printer and we are all getting similar problems at random.

I've had IT in to look at connection issues but they say there is nothing wrong so it must be the printer.

We have the printer on a LAN but have tried wireless with similar results.

I have a print going right now (from a USB stick) so can't post the printer logs but I will upload them as soon as it finishes. Any help would be appreciated.

Same here on both counts--Cura disconnects sometimes, and UM3 forgets who I am often. Windows 10 / Cura 2.5.0 / UM3+

I've made a number of fixes for this in 2.6

I've made a number of fixes for this in 2.6

I'll check it out and let you know in a few days if I am still having the same issues.

Thanks nallath

After a couple of days success the printer has locked me out again saying the printer address has not yet responded. Looks like there are still some bugs in 2.6.

I've had much more success staying connected to the printer though so something has made a difference!

Cheers

I know this post is long dead so I understand if no one follows up...

I am having this exact same issue!  We have 3 Ultimaker 3 printers on our network and there are regular issues with at least one printer disconnecting after 20 minutes of printing.  At this time the only way I have found to fix it is to restart the printer.  Obviously this is a pain because on long prints that means the printer is connected only the first 20 minutes or so. (So... for most of every print.) I also wish it was a consistent issue, at this time it appears only sometimes.

OS X laptops - Mojave 10.14.6

Cura - 4.3.0

Ultimaker Firmware - 5.2.11.20190503

The printer that most often cuts out has been reset and had is firmware flashed more than once to try and fix it.  Is it possibly a network power save "sleep" issue?  I remember an issue years ago with Apple network cards that would get stuck at 54mbps after the network tried to enter low power mode but then never "woke up."

Well, I did learn some strange behavior of this bug if anyone is seeing or experiencing this...  If I send the print over the network it will lose connection after 10-20 minutes of printing.  If I abort the print manually and restart it locally after clearing the build plate it appears to stay connected for the duration of the print.  I will try using a USB next.

It is a bug in the tool change.  I have printed a few things using a single extruder (AA Core 0.8mm in slot 0).  Although BB core 2 is installed I disable it in cura and the wifi stays connected indefinitely—multiple prints over multiple days and it is still going strong.  Is there any workaround?  Anyone see this?

Could you try to manually add the printer in Cura (eg; by IP instead of using the detected list)?

32 minutes ago, nallath said:

Could you try to manually add the printer in Cura (eg; by IP instead of using the detected list)?

Yeah, my work network is a jungle. I usually have to enter it manually or it doesn't discover.  After each print even the printer displays that it is not connected and pinging the static IP does nothing. I have tried many things to get it to reconnect but only restarting seems to do the trick.