Cura Support Question

RocketNut

Posted · Cura Support Question

Hello

I am newbe to 3D printing. The part I want to print needs support (Touching buildplate). As you can seen in the attached screen shot, the middle tab does not have any support. How do I get that center tab supported?

Thanks and have a great day :)

Rocket Nut

5a33266c1ef58_CuraSupportError.jpg.775344662b83b93eef83931abc633e3f.jpg

5a33266c1ef58_CuraSupportError.jpg.775344662b83b93eef83931abc633e3f.jpg

Wow. Looks like a bug. Which version of cura is this? I'd play with the support features. Actually the crazy thing is every location it put support - it's not needed. The printer can "bridge" just fine from that center "tab" to the two side posts. At least from this angle it looks like it's not a problem.

And those 45 degree portions don't need any support either. Just the place where you point with the arrow - that needs support.

If you can't figure it out in support settings (set X/Y distance parameters to zero for a test?) then I'd just build support in CAD. Just put one support on each end of that tab before it switches to 45 degrees and turn off cura support.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Cura Support Question

Thanks for the quick response:)

I am using Cura 15.04.3.

You can down load the part at:  DataLogger Support Frame

Please be aware the part is huge (W=54.4,D=39.8,H=247) and will not fit normal desktop prints, so you might have to scale it down for your printer. I have a Creality CR10 (CV-10 3D Printer), which is a large format (300,300,400) printer.

I will do as you suggested by adding the supports to the CAD file, and turn off Cura's support.

If you can't figure it out in support settings (set X/Y distance parameters to zero for a test?) then I'd just build support in CAD. Just put one support on each end of that tab before it switches to 45 degrees and turn off cura support.

I do not understand what you are talking about:O

Again thanks for quick response.

Rocket Nut

Edited by Guest

In cura 15.X, in expert settings there are more settings for support - something about X/Y distance. Try setting that to zero or playing around with other settings. Or use cura 2.3. But really best is to design your own supports. It will save you filament and printing time.

ADM:

Please delete this post.

Edited by Guest

OK I will check the expert settings.

For right now I have added supports to the CAD file (please see attached screen shot).

5a33266c7b976_CuraSupportError.thumb.jpg.da8867205b25497ee468305dbcc607b2.jpg

Side Note:

According to Cura it's going to take 24.5 hours to print. Does that sound correct?

5a33266c7b976_CuraSupportError.thumb.jpg.da8867205b25497ee468305dbcc607b2.jpg

Edited by Guest