Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Hi,

we are going to install a heated platform in our Ultimaker.

After searching in other forums, we decided to go by the "heated wolfbed" from the reprap forum.

The heater is a silicon-heat-mat, which is attached to an aluminium plate, where we print on.

The temperature is measured by a 100kOhm Thermistor and controlled by PID.

But there are still a lot of questions.

Has anyone tried to install similar platforms in his Ultimaker, so we can exchange experiences of our heated beds?

We are happy about every answer.

Greetings, Johannes

If you look on thingiverse you'll find someone who installed a heated glass bed on his ultimaker. Glass has the advantage over aluminium that it's very straight as far as I understood. But it is more fragile.

Hey! What a coincidence. I was just going to write a topic about this. :)

I have bought a heated bed "PCB-type". (

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270860324146

)

I have some questions regarding the install, but the Ultimaker hasn't arrived yet so some questions might solve themselves when it arrives.

There should be a connector on the Ultimaker controller for the bed, and the electronics is mounted, but do I need a separate power supply?

This bed should have 12v and about 10A at 100% PWM.

What type of temp sensor is "supported" by the controller?

tpulti-bt wrote 100kOhm Thermistor, I suppose it should be a NTC type?

I'm interested in hooking up a thermistor as well I'm just a little vague on the exact "how."

According to what I've seen you can hook a thermistor up to the temp2 or temp3 on the board but I don't know which of the three pin to hook the two wires. Either: Signal and Ground or Signal and 5V. I'd hate to blow something up.

There also needs to be a change in the firmware to read the heated bed temp.

-b

According to what I've seen you can hook a thermistor up to the temp2 or temp3 on the board but I don't know which of the three pin to hook the two wires. Either: Signal and Ground or Signal and 5V.

-b

We go by 5V-100kOhmNTCThermistor-Signal and Signal-100kOhmResistor-Ground. But still... we have not tested it yet.

I'm looking to install a heated bed on my ultimaker as well. But I have no idea where to start.

So I'm very interested to know if someone successfully did it and if so if he/she would be kind enough to share how?

I'm thinking to order the following pieces and then try to assemble them:

-MK2 heated bed

-thermistor such as EPCOS

-Could someone advise me on what type of external alimentation is needed?

-I'm still not getting how the heat is controlled?

The heat is controlled by the 2nd heater and temperature sensor.

Ultimaker might come with a heated bed, they had a few machines on show with heated beds on show this monday.

Nice do you know if the heated bed was also available as a kit to install on older ultimaker?

Well, it fitted right on the existing model, and the electronics are prepared for it. So you would expect a kit version. But I didn't talk to the Ultimaker team about it (we had so much to talk about :p and so many people to talk to)