Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
mattjuk81

Innofill and Ultimaker PLA filament snapping

I would like to amplify this query. Every so often, I have had filament snap around the entry to the feeder. Sometimes the cause will be clear, in that the filament has become tangled. On occasions, though, I get a sense that the friction involved in turning a full reel of filament may be enough to trigger a snap. I particularly feel this with the outer reels on UM3s - those which feed into Printcore 1.

I've recently had this happen with loose filament which hangs loosly round an empty reel. On a recent long print, I loaded 50 coils (say 40+ metres) of new PLA, taking great care to ensure that the coils would not get tangled. It snapped after using less than 10 of those coils. When I re-inserted the remaining 40 coils, the print ran totally smoothly, so tangling was not an issue.

I'm pretty sure I've never had a simple break like these when I've printed using 10-20 metres of loosely hanging filament, draped round a reel.

Is friction a serious issue when one is dealing with longer runs of filament?