Center piece of Bertho's Extruder Upgrade

Posted · Center piece of Bertho's Extruder Upgrade

Hello,

I did something really dumb. Darwin awards dumb...

I cleaned my shop shortly after getting my printer running well with the Bertho's extruder upgrade. I was so confident that I threw away the pieces that it replaced. When I made it, I couldn't find the M3X50mm bolts anywhere, so I just ABS glued in some 4-40 threaded rod. You can guess the outcome here: the threaded rod pulled out.

Can someone print me up the center piece for the Bertho's extruder along with the right size screw and spring? I think mine broke because I was overtightening it due to the spring I used having too low of a spring force.

An easy $15 for the printed part, the screw, and the spring. I really don't care what color or material you use.

-Matt

For reference, here is the STL file. I've shared it before for people that wanted a different color one (as they didn't like pink)

Thanks Daid,

I managed to get the printed part. Does anyone happen to have a M3-50 screw and the right size spring that they can send me?

Save me from myself! If I don't get the right size parts I'm going to grab something out of my junk bin again and probably do something stupid again...

Try an RC shop... They seem to have the best stock on some of these things stateside and usually don't make you buy 50 of something. The spring doesn't have to have a specific setting, just be sure it's pretty stiff compression.

I got some that were like M3x60 with a smooth shaft at the RCA helicopter shop here. Had to buy a bunch so I could probably send you one if you needed it still. Mine are cap heads though, so they wouldn't be exact copies. I got mine to work with a bit of a combination of the Bertho bearing plate and the UM design.

I know this is an old topic but I figured I'd put it out there. I recently made this extruder upgrade, and after a LOT of searching at local stores, I found everything I needed at Sears Hardware. 50mm bolts, springs, washers, and nuts. I felt so stupid buying screws off the internet so I didn't give up looking around town. $4.64 was my total price, cheaper than just the shipping from McMaster Carr!

Thanks for the info. I ended up finding what I needed in the extra stuff bin at work. I should have thought of Sears Hardware. They seem to stock odd things. They saved me on a plumbing project a few years back as well.