UM3 Hard Core Six Pro vs EHT

CastelDx

Posted · UM3 Hard Core Six Pro vs EHT

Hello,

I would like to buy a Solex hardcore six and hesitate in order the pro model or EHT.

I destinate it to print various material like PLA, ABS, Polycarbonate, and also materials which need high temperature under 280°C.

Could you give me some advices in order to finalize my choice ?

Thanks a lot,

Chris:)

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · UM3 Hard Core Six Pro vs EHT

Don't go with EHT.  It's experimental and the regular hardcore upgrade and also Ultimaker brand cores can print at 280C no problem.  UM claims the core can go to 350C although I'm a little skeptical as they would have to use very special heaters and temp sensors to go that hot.

Anyway 280C is no problem with existing core.  EHT is an all metal solution [3dsolex corrected me - it's not all metal but still is experimental and can cause pain] that can cause you all kinds of pain.  Most experienced people know to never use an all metal head with PLA.  PLA sticks to metal and that's a major problem.  You may do an entire print and it works great but if you let it cool down you probably will have trouble doing a second print as the PLA will be stuck.  Also even during a print with a reasonable amount of retractions the PLA can get stuck and you will get a failed print.

So stay away from EHT unless you plan to print over 350C.

Also the firmware in the UM3 will not let you go over 355C.  If the print head goes above 355C the printer will immediately halt the print with an error message.  I don't know how to change this (yet) and don't plan to in the near future.

Also the flat piece of silicone that the nozzles stick through at the bottom of the head - that will not do well above 250C.  So if you will be printing at 280C remove that for those prints as the silicone will break down and crack and fall apart eventually after hours of printing at 280C.

Edited by Guest

A clarification - the EHT is not all metal and should work with PLA but it's experimental - it has some unusual materials inside that can withstand the heat just fine but the question is will PLA stick to it and cause problems?

Unless you want to experience the headache of bleeding edge technologies then stick with a core that we know works great for PLA and other materials up to 280C no problem.

Thanks for reply.

How do you think the Solex hardcore six pro would go in T°C ?

For me I though it could go to 280°C and not far away. Isn't it ?

If not, how do you think could it goes ?

Posted (edited) · UM3 Hard Core Six Pro vs EHT

I'm not sure I understand your question.

Normal Ultimaker Core rated to 350C (not 250C!)

Normal 3dsolex hardcore rated to 350C

EHT 3dsolex hardcore rated to 360C (needed for PEEK)

All of this is well above 280C.

But the printer itself will allow the core to go above 355C without software modifications.  So the EHT is for people who can edit the UM3 firmware and experiment.

The hardcore six pro can go as hot as the normal Ultimaker core because (for now) it is using the same heater, the same temp sensor, the same everything - except the aluminum cooling fins, the block, and the nozzle.  Aluminum and brass should be fine at 350C as far as I know.

It is possible that Ultimaker is wrong and that it can not go to 350C. I don't know and I haven't tried that hot yet.

Edited by Guest

I'm not sure I understand your question.

Normal Ultimaker Core rated to 350C (not 250C!)

Normal 3dsolex hardcore rated to 350C

EHT 3dsolex hardcore rated to 360C (needed for PEEK)

All of this is well above 280C.

@gr5: ...but keep in mind that the official maximum operating temperature is 280C

From the UM3 specifications:

Nozzle temperature 180 ˚C to 280 ˚C