Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Rosebud635

These damn supports.

Hello,

I have real troubles with the supports. I followed the same configurations that I saw on the forum with people who don't seem to have such problem.

IMG_7184.thumb.JPG.7fcbfecd069938bc9fdf3b579616f1b0.JPG

As you can see the parts that are actually supported are just impossible to clean. The supports makes one with the print.

What am I doing wrong? Does the brand of the filament makes a difference? I am currently using the Innofil3D PLA because I find it easy to print with and it looks real good.

Thanks in advance for you suggestions.

IMG_7184.thumb.JPG.7fcbfecd069938bc9fdf3b579616f1b0.JPG

This is the whole idea of UM3 with dissolvable support as normal Support can really ruin models.

The smaller the nozzle size you use the easier it is to remove the support. For models like this I normally use 0.25mm nozzle at 0.1layer height. The print time is nearly the same as 0.4 nozzle at 0.1 layer height and there is no big flat top / bottom surfaces.

Also adjust the x/y distance so there is more gap from the model so you don't get bits of support in the tight corners.

Chopping up the model and glueing later can also be better and reduce how much support is required.

• Like 2