Where to find a replacement UM2 heated bed panel in the USA?

chrisw

Posted · Where to find a replacement UM2 heated bed panel in the USA?

My 2,000 hour UM2 has been throwing the error about heated bed temp sensor off and on for a while now. I tightened the connections, which seemed to fix it for about a week, then I tried making the solder reflow, which seemed to help for 4 days. Now I'm over messing with it and would rather just replace that bed.

I went to FBRC8's site to buy a replacement and they are sold out of the $197.00 beds. A quick search on Amazon shows $23.00 beds available, with the Ultimaker logo printed right on it.

What's the best route to follow here? Does anyone know a reliable source for a quality replacement bed?

TIA,

Chris

I just had the same problem, first I resoldered the connector,didnt last long, then I soldered new wires from the heat sensor to the connector, lasted about a week before temp errors.

After desoldering and removing the whole connector and soldered all the wires directly on the pcb tracks its been flawless since. I see most of the heated beds for ultimaker on ebay have the wires directly soldered onto the pcb too, you should give it a try :)

Hi there,

I have not tried soldering the bed, but your reliable sources would be first and foremost Fabrc8, since they made you printer. :) But you might also check out thegr5strore.com. They also sell UM stuff and Gr5 is a super helpful and friendly guy here on the forums. Dynamism is also a UM seller in the US, so maybe check if they have parts.

Lastly, I if none of that works and you cannot wait, there is a Canadian reseller, shop3d.ca. That is Valcrow's store and Valcrow is another forum god like Gr5. :)

Of course, those are all for proper OEM parts. You can try other sources, but I have no idea what you will get.

Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck with the soldering! :)

wires directly soldered onto the pcb

I did that and it's working so far: two 5-hour prints at 75C with no errors so far. After soldering some globby-looking joints and then flipping the heat bed upside down for installation, I'm not feeling so confident. The wires are not exactly relaxed.

Hi there,

I have not tried soldering the bed, but your reliable sources would be first and foremost Fabrc8, since they made you printer. :) But you might also check out thegr5strore.com.  They also sell UM stuff and Gr5 is a super helpful and friendly guy here on the forums.  Dynamism is also a UM seller in the US, so maybe check if they have parts.

Lastly, I if none of that works and you cannot wait, there is a Canadian reseller, shop3d.ca.  That is Valcrow's store and Valcrow is another forum god like Gr5. :)

Of course, those are all for proper OEM parts.  You can try other sources, but I have no idea what you will get.

Anyway, hope this helps.  Good luck with the soldering! :)

GR5's store was the first place I went. No luck. He has UM2GO print beds but no full sized beds listed. Then I went to FBRC8 and discovered they have none in stock (I left my e-mail address there to be notified when they have stock, but haven't heard a peep). Then I tried Matterhackers and Dynamism, no luck.

Shop3d.ca has the bed listed, with "In stock" next to it, but no price is showing and I don't see an "add to cart" option:

Middle of this Page

I'll keep his page in my links because there are quite a few replacement parts/upgrades

wires directly soldered onto the pcb

I did that and it's working so far:  two 5-hour prints at 75C with no errors so far.    After soldering some globby-looking joints and then flipping the heat bed upside down for installation, I'm not feeling so confident.    The wires are not exactly relaxed.

When you mount the bed again and screw on the cable clip onto the cable, just make sure the cable is locked in place. I bent the powercables and temp sensor cables in an appropiate radius towards the cable clip, added some electrical tape around the cable where the cable clip sits...so the cable is locked in place.

When the heated bed cable is locked in place, the seperate cables should not get any pull or strain, i bet you could even apply some epoxy or superclue around the cables where the solder points are, just for extra strength.

Shop3d.ca has the bed listed, with "In stock" next to it, but no price is showing and I don't see an "add to cart" option:

Middle of this Page

I'll keep his page in my links because there are quite a few replacement parts/upgrades

That is weird. Try sending them an email. They are nice people, very helpful! :) Failing that you might try messaging Valcrow. But I am sure a regular email will work.

Heated bed update:

My blobby soldered joint finally busted after about 20 prints. So I installed one of the $39 heated beds with the fake Ultimaker logo printed on it. It works, but it takes literally twice as long to heat up as a stock UM2 bed: 5 minutes to go from 22C to 76C on my stock UM2 bed, and 10 minutes on the 3rd party bed.

FBRC8 sent me an email saying they now have the OEM beds in stock, so I think I'll just bite the bullet and get the real thing