Good Settings for Support Structures using Cura

mmoerders

Posted (edited) · Good Settings for Support Structures using Cura

Hi folks,

I've been mostly printing with my Ultimaker 2+ without supports, since I design my models mostly myself (examples). However I want to dive into the topic supports so I can also print models which I downloaded from various websites. Take this little helmet for example. The whole thing is 7cm wide and 5cm high.

skyrimhelm.jpg

First of all, yes, I would have saved material if I had printed the model upside down. I did this on purpose so I don't have to remove the supports from the topside, giving it a nice and clean finish.

Anyway, it took me over one hour to remove all the supports. It was really a pain. The removal wasn't easy at all, it felt so tightly connected to the main structure. I don't think that this is how it's supposed to work. Especially when I watch some YouTube videos and see how easily and effortlessly other people remove their support structures.

So I want to ask, is there maybe a a better setting or a a "go-to-configuration" for these support structures, making them easier to remove? Here are the settings I used (losely translated from my german version of Cura 2.3.1)

support structure activated: yes

where to place the stuff: everywhere

angle for overhangs: 45°

pattern of the structure: zickzack

connect zickzack elements: yes

density of the structure: 15%

By the way, I'm using the original Ultimaker Silver PLA Filament (Link).

I heard a lot of people recommend to use Simplyfy3D for support structures, but I thought I give Cura a try before spending 150$ on it, since I am using Cura for everything else so far and I'm quite happy with it.

I'm looking forward to you answers!

Thanks a lot,

Marius

Edited by Guest

Posted · Good Settings for Support Structures using Cura

Meshmixer is free and it great for generating support but CURA now has a lot of options.

Adjusting X/Y distance helps stop support going into tight corners that are difficult to remove.

Increasing the support z distance can help stop it sticking to much and using support interface helps.

Don't print to fast or hot as this will cause it to stick more.

Using small nozzles make a huge difference in how easy it is to remove support. A 0.4mm nozzle at 0.1mm layers has a similar print time of a 0.25mm nozzle at 0.1mm layers if there are no big flat surfaces.

I normally use support grid as it comes off in one piece. But haven't tried all the new types yet.

• 3 weeks later...
    Posted (edited) · Good Settings for Support Structures using Cura

I am finding that the 'use towers' and 'conical support' to be helpful in limiting the amount of support needed. I have gone as low as 8% support amount with 10mm as the maximum width and 2mm the minimum width. It will tower out nicely to still make the 'cradle' that the print rests upon.

Edit: I have also found it can compensate for 'Touching build plate only' rahter than always using 'everywhere'.

Edited by Guest