Bushing moving out of the four blocks

didero

Posted · Bushing moving out of the four blocks

Hello everyone !

I''m almost done with the assembly of my ultimaker kit but something seems to be wrong.

Let me explain myself:

The bushing (the four ones made of brass I guess) are moving out the 4 blocks where they are inserted in (one on each Y and X axis) when I try to move the extruder head by hand !

Could it be a problem ? Does anyone experienced the same issue ?

Thanks in advance for any help !

Yes, that's a problem. Does it need any force to move the bushlings over the rods? (it shouldn't they should slide)

If they slide on the rods the holes in the blocks are a bit to large, I guess some glue can solve it?

Hello Daid and thanks for your reply,

Yes actually it needs some force to move the head (less if I disconnect the motor, but still too much I gess).

I was also thinking about adding some glue to best assiociate the bushing with the block but I'm surprised because as this is not mentioned in the documentation, it sounds like nobody experienced that problem before while I have this issue not with one bushing but with all the four ones.

It seems that I definitly have a problem with the block (however they look perfectly parallel, I will double check).

I'll try some glue ! And I will post a feedback once the assembly is finished !

To be continued !!!

On the top/left part of the picture where you can see the pullies on both axes, it looks like the belt isn't directly over the rod.. Is that right or does it just look like that because of the angle of the photo?

I was also thinking about adding some glue to best assiociate the bushing with the block but I'm surprised because as this is not mentioned in the documentation, it sounds like nobody experienced that problem before while I have this issue not with one bushing but with all the four ones.
    Well, the documentation assumes the bushings will be kept in by friction. For reference, I had to hammer my bushings into the blocks. I simply could not get them in by hand.

On the top/left part of the picture where you can see the pullies on both axes, it looks like the belt isn't directly over the rod.. Is that right or does it just look like that because of the angle of the photo?

Hello Ddurant,

Yes I assume this is due to the photo angle, the belt is correctly placed on the pulley !

Well, the documentation assumes the bushings will be kept in by friction. For reference, I had to hammer my bushings into the blocks. I simply could not get them in by hand.

Hi again Daid,

Thanks for this information, mine were easy to insert into the blocks (they would even fall out if I had not placed some tape around the blocks when I had to manipulate them).

So the conclusion is that the blocks holes are a bit larger than they should be, and as you have said previously a little glue would probably fix this !

Have a great day !

Hi everyone !

To conclued this post, I glued the bearing with the sliding blocks and had my first test of the machine using replicatorG (not real print test but endswitch test using the control panel, it seems working fine so far !

Thanks to those who helped in this post!

Best Regards to all

Didero

Hi Didero,

did you experinced this problem only qith the bushes in the blocks, as I also have this problem both on the blocks and on the heating noze : every hole seems to be a bit too large for the bushes and bearings, creating excessive backlash that I assume will affect the final result. What kind of glue did you use for this ? Thanks.

PS : seems that the french machines have to face the same problem...

Hi Tecnao,

Sorry for answering you so late but I didn't suscribe to that post so I wasn't informed you posted a message!

To answer your question, yes, I had the same issue with the bearings of the head! I glued them as well !

I used a regular glue (like "super glue" the one that sticks your finger in a second !!!

"PS : seems that the french machines have to face the same problem..."

Not sure about that ! Maybe the recent laser cut parts have this issue ! We should ask new user to tell if they also have this problem and where they are from !!

I don't even know if the cutting is done by the same machine for every UM, if not, maybe some of them have accuracy issues !

That would be interesting to know if other users have this issue, so that we could inform the UM team that this may not be an isolated problem, like I thought it was before your post !