Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
didero

Bushing moving out of the four blocks

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone !

I''m almost done with the assembly of my ultimaker kit but something seems to be wrong.

Let me explain myself:

The bushing (the four ones made of brass I guess) are moving out the 4 blocks where they are inserted in (one on each Y and X axis) when I try to move the extruder head by hand !

Could it be a problem ? Does anyone experienced the same issue ?

Thanks in advance for any help !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Daid and thanks for your reply,

Yes actually it needs some force to move the head (less if I disconnect the motor, but still too much I gess).

I was also thinking about adding some glue to best assiociate the bushing with the block but I'm surprised because as this is not mentioned in the documentation, it sounds like nobody experienced that problem before while I have this issue not with one bushing but with all the four ones.

It seems that I definitly have a problem with the block (however they look perfectly parallel, I will double check).

I'll try some glue ! And I will post a feedback once the assembly is finished !

To be continued !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I was also thinking about adding some glue to best assiociate the bushing with the block but I'm surprised because as this is not mentioned in the documentation, it sounds like nobody experienced that problem before while I have this issue not with one bushing but with all the four ones.
Well, the documentation assumes the bushings will be kept in by friction. For reference, I had to hammer my bushings into the blocks. I simply could not get them in by hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On the top/left part of the picture where you can see the pullies on both axes, it looks like the belt isn't directly over the rod.. Is that right or does it just look like that because of the angle of the photo?

Hello Ddurant,

Yes I assume this is due to the photo angle, the belt is correctly placed on the pulley !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well, the documentation assumes the bushings will be kept in by friction. For reference, I had to hammer my bushings into the blocks. I simply could not get them in by hand.

Hi again Daid,

Thanks for this information, mine were easy to insert into the blocks (they would even fall out if I had not placed some tape around the blocks when I had to manipulate them).

So the conclusion is that the blocks holes are a bit larger than they should be, and as you have said previously a little glue would probably fix this !

Have a great day !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone !

To conclued this post, I glued the bearing with the sliding blocks and had my first test of the machine using replicatorG (not real print test but endswitch test using the control panel, it seems working fine so far !

Thanks to those who helped in this post!

Best Regards to all

Didero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Didero,

did you experinced this problem only qith the bushes in the blocks, as I also have this problem both on the blocks and on the heating noze : every hole seems to be a bit too large for the bushes and bearings, creating excessive backlash that I assume will affect the final result. What kind of glue did you use for this ? Thanks.

PS : seems that the french machines have to face the same problem...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Tecnao,

Sorry for answering you so late but I didn't suscribe to that post so I wasn't informed you posted a message!

To answer your question, yes, I had the same issue with the bearings of the head! I glued them as well !

I used a regular glue (like "super glue" the one that sticks your finger in a second !!!

 

"PS : seems that the french machines have to face the same problem..."

Not sure about that ! Maybe the recent laser cut parts have this issue ! We should ask new user to tell if they also have this problem and where they are from !!

I don't even know if the cutting is done by the same machine for every UM, if not, maybe some of them have accuracy issues !

That would be interesting to know if other users have this issue, so that we could inform the UM team that this may not be an isolated problem, like I thought it was before your post !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Our picks

    • How to 3D print with reinforced engineering materials
      Ultimaker is hosting a webinar where we explain how you can achieve and maintain a high print success rate using these new reinforced engineering materials. Learn from Ultimaker's Product Manager of Materials and top chemical engineer Bart van As how you can take your 3D printing to that next level.
      • 5 replies
    • "Back To The Future" using Generative Design & Investment Casting
      Designing for light-weight parts is becoming more important, and I’m a firm believer in the need to produce lighter weight, less over-engineered parts for the future. This is for sustainability reasons because we need to be using less raw materials and, in things like transportation, it impacts the energy usage of the product during it’s service life.
        • Like
      • 12 replies
×

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!