No filament on NW corner of the buildplate

maxk

Posted · No filament on NW corner of the buildplate

Hi Guys,

I have an Ultimaker 2 Extended+ and a problem with my prints. A few weeks ago I had problems with under-extrusion, but that was fixed by changing the original nozzle to the Olsson-Block with a .6mm nozzle and the coupler, the Hot-End-Isolator and the spring. E.g. nearly everything at the Hot-End, but the

temperature sensor and the heater.

This fixed many problems, but one:

There is nearly no filament extruding at the NW corner of the Build Plate. I've tried releveling the Build Plate and hoped, that the things mentioned above would solve this issue.

I'm searching for about two days and can't find a solution or someone with a similar problem. Hopefully there is help in this community or some ideas to fix this problem.

There is no difference if i print 3 small parts, 1 big part oder 1 small part. The filament won't extrude nicely in the NW corner. If I put one small part in the SE corner it works just fine, but this should not be the solution. This "fix" won't work with bigger parts.

Im using Cura 2.3.0 with this settings:

.6 nozzle with PLA

Normal quality

Quality:

Layer Height : 0.15mm

Initial Layer Height: 0.3mm

Shell:

Wall Thickness : 1.59mm

Top/Bottom Thickness: 1.2mm

Infill:

20%

Material:

Retraction is enabled

Speed:

Print Speed: 55mm/s

Travel Speed: 120mm/s

Cooling:

enabled

Support:

not enabled

Build Plate Adhesion:

Type : Brim

Brim width: 8.0mm

Brim Line Count: 16

Special Modes:

All at once

Temperature:

Nozzle: 210°C

Build Plate: 60°C

If more informations are needed, please ask. If pictures are wanted, i'll upload some.

Thanks in advance,

Max

What I usually do with PLA filament is manually unwind a bit of filament and straighten it: I roll about 10cm of filament in the opposite direction around a 7cm skater wheel, thus bending it in the opposite direction, then the next 10cm, next 10cm, etc., until I have done about 1 or 2 meters, enough for the print to come. This takes only a few minutes. Then I wind it up again on the spool. But now it is sitting very loose. This gives far less friction in the bowden tube and nozzle, improves print quality and eliminates underextrusion.

Maybe you could try that? I guess in your case it is the tight bending curve that causes too much friction in the nozzle itself. So with this technique there is very little bending, and the filament softens a bit by straightening it in this way (it gets micro-cracks). Don't do this with brittle filament like wood-filled, or metal filled.

There's also always unspooled filaments too. I like Faberdashery filament, sitting on a lazy susan. Much wider curvature throughout the filament, and consistent throughout the whole package.