Extruder motor won't move (UMO)

keegano

Posted · Extruder motor won't move (UMO)

After five years of ownership and four moves, it seems I've finally done something to hurt my Ultimaker Original. After setting up in my new apartment, the extruder motor doesn't turn anymore, either when trying to print or controlling it through the "Prepare" menu of my Ulticontroller.

Some things I've tried:

- Replugging all the cables: No difference.

- Swapping the motor to a different port: the extruder now moves when I control the other axis.

- Swapping the driver: extruder driver works in other slots, new driver does not work in extruder slot.

Visual inspection doesn't show any obvious issues with the electronics (no exploded caps or broken joints that I can see). The above testing makes me think that I need to replace either the electronics or the Arduino Mega. However, I think I could work around the problem in firmware; I have an unused second extruder port, so I should be able to make the firmware treat that as the primary extruder instead of the other one.

Any ideas how I could do this? Is it an option somewhere, or would I have to modify some code (which I am not adverse to doing)? Also, if anyone has seen an issue like this before, it would be helpful to know where the problem might lie so I could go deeper into troubleshooting. But I really just want it to work!

Assigning one motor to other is easy (if you know how to build a Marlin) by changing the pins.h table

Gr5 posted a link for other user machine, but it should help you getting a custom marlin firmware running.

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/39160-cura-firmware-eeprom?page=last#reply-173645

You would need to edit the pins.h file of your board to make extruder 1 the 2 and the 2 the 1.

• 3 years later...

I have the same problem as the original poster on this older post.  Extruder motor works on another port, but not on the original port.  Not to revive the dead, but can anyone point me in a direction for a current best practice fix for this issue?  The link supplied above does not work.  I have some questions:

1. Is it possible that the extruder no longer runs from the "Prepare" menu properly?  I know, I'm grasping here, but how could it just die like this?
    2. Is it possible the extruder only runs during prints?  I doubt it, also a reach.

I'm thinking of these options:

1. Move the extruder from port 1 to port 2
    2. Tell original firmware I have a second extruder (possible?) and config in Cura, then run?
    3. If that doesn't work, can I modify native firmware to use other extruder port?
    4. If that doesn't work, Marlin firmware, pin assignment?
    5. OR, can I replace board/driver?  Easy to do?

I'm a little stuck here, any pointers?

Normally the extruder WILL NOT MOVE if the temperature is below around 170C on the heater.

There is a gcode to override this.  google something like "gcode extrude override" or look for gcode at reprap website and search for override.

Or just heat up the nozzle.

If it still doesn't rotate then it could be the driver is damaged.  You can just buy another driver.  is this UMO green board?  Or UMO+ with white board?

If green board you can just remove the driver and put another one in there.  They cost around 20 euros/dollars.

if white board, then yes you can reprogram firmware to use the other driver.  Look for my posts about building the firmware and the only thing you have to change is pins.h.